Low Predicted FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illa_kotilla

Reaction score
I decided to brew up a kitchen sink style Pale where I use up a mishmash of left over grains and hops I had lying around. I wanted to put a basic Pale together. When I slapped everything in the brew calculator, it's showing me an OG of 1.060 and a FG of 1.008. The FG seems low and (not that it matters) but doesn't conform to a standard Pale Ale.

What's the cause of the low FG?

1.25lbs of grains (biscuit/40L) Steep for 45
7lb LME
.5 DME

Safale 05

standard 5 gallon batch.

Whelp, most of it depends on the type of LME and DME used. If its just regular pilsen light or golden light from briess than that sounds about right. None of the grains mentioned have a ton of unfermentable sugar.
:mug:

Also yeast dependent. I think s05 has about 75-78% attenuation.

Since you aren't mashing, you really don't have much control over the fermentability of your wort.

The beer will finish where the yeast stop. This depends on the malts/extract used, yeast used, pitch rate, oxygenation of wort, and fermentation conditions. Again, not much you can do with your recipe in your circumstances.

Back