Combining tasks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edpietrzak

Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on what are good tasks to combine on a day for multiple brews. For example I was thinking about brewing and bottling one of mine on the same day. I can bottle during the 60 minute boil. That way I save on sanitizer and hauling all the equipment out of the basement. What do you do?

I only bottle and brew when I am in a pinch. Sanatizer cost is not really an issue. I use star-san mixed with distilled water and spray bottle. I brew at least once a week and sometimes twice, a gallon lasts me more than a month.

I wouldnt recommend bottling during the boil. Unless you like high stress situations. I would be worried about missing an addition or allowing a boil over. It takes me more than an hour to bottle, but maybe I'm just slow. I have bottled this morning and now am about to start a batch as well. I prefer to split them up to prevent errors. I clean up during mash and boil to make clean up at the end much quicker.

I bottle and brew on the same day all the time. Drop your grains to mash and start bottling. If you don't quite get done you still have plenty of time to finish during the boil. Not stressful at all. I usuually finish before I even start the boil.

The second benefit of this is if you want to reuse the yeast. Just save a cup or two, clean the fermenter and use the yeast from the yeast cake.

Back