Multiple Carb Drops for Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
In order to avoid contaminating my bottling bucket with lacto, I was thinking about bottling my Berliner Weisse directly from the secondary carboy and using carb drops for priming.

For a Berliner Weisse I need to get that trademark effervescent carbonation that is higher than what can be produced by a single carb drop. Does anyone have any experience using multiple carb drops or portions of additional carb drops for higher levels of carbonation?

Should I just man up and buy another bottling bucket?

I use the Cooper's carb drops,& they've worked pretty good. I used the 25oz PET bottles supplied with the micro brew kit with 2 carb drops each. After 3 weeks at 70F,& 5 days in the fridge,carbonation is like an upside down snow storm. Bubbles to the last gulp in an imperial pint pils glass.
Cooper's says to prime at a rate of 8g/liter. One carb drop per 12-16oz bottle. But the Cooper's carb drops are pretty good size. What drops are you using?

Looks like you'll need to use 4-5 of those. Interesting that they also contain "heading powder",& DME. It'd be interesting to just get'em with the dextrose & Glycol Alginate. I don't see the DME doing much,but who knows?

Looks like you'll need to use 4-5 of those. Interesting that they also contain "heading powder",& DME. It'd be interesting to just get'em with the dextrose & Glycol Alginate. I don't see the DME doing much,but who knows?

Do you have a lot of brews under your belt union?

Not really. I used to make wine for years,so I am familiar with the process. Not to mention,having been in middle management,learning fast is/was a good thing. I think what also helped me was getting "A's" in life science & tutoring other students. Got my thinkin right,lolz.

I use the Munton's carb tabs. Four or five in a twelve ounce and eight in a twenty two works for me. I have used the Coopers also but have not drank any of them yet.

I keg and only bottle the leftovers. Last week I bottled two 22's and two 12'rs. That is a free 6 pack to me. I call them freebies. I save them for camping trips and give some away.

Back