Maple Wheat Ale help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zythe84

Reaction score
I would like to soon begin brewing a Maple Wheat Ale, as found on p. 137 of the book Clone Brews, but had a few questions about the ingredients that are to be used.

Here is what is needed:

9.25 lb. M&F wheat DME (55% wheat, 45% barley malt)
1/2 lb. maple syrup
1.5 oz. Willamette @ 5% AA (7.5 HBU) (bittering hop)
1/2 oz. Willamette (flavor hop)
1 tsp. Irish moss
Wyeast's 3056 Bavarian wheat yeast OR Wyeast's 3944 White Beer yeast
1/2 cup corn sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup

Here are my questions about the ingredients:

1. The only wheat DME I have found comes only in 1 pound and 3 pound increments, which means I would have to buy a whole extra pound in order to obtain the 9.25 pounds required for the recipe. Would only 9 pounds be acceptable, or is it necessary that the extra .25 pounds is used?

2. What is the difference between the bittering hops and flavor hops. Are they both going to be the same Willamette @ 5% AA? Is the only difference that they are added at different times, and allowed to boil for different lengths of time?

3. Is the corn sugar required a special type of brewing ingredient, or something that can be found at a grocery store?

4. Is any type of maple syrup acceptable?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and let me know if you can offer any advice.

Thanks,

JBL

I'll take a shot:
1: the 0.25 lb of DME will make a difference in the alcolhol percentage, but you can probably compensate slightly by reducing (very slightly) the amount of water used, so you can hit your target OG
2: Yes, the only difference is the amount of time in the boil - longer = bittering, less long = flavor, barely any = aroma
3: I've never seen corn sugar at the grocery store, but all home brew supply places carry it.
4: Any type - if you mean canadian vs. vermont vs. maine, vs. minesota, I don't think it matters. BUT... Use REAL maple syrup -- read the ingredient list on the package, if it has corn syrup in it then it's not REAL.

Good luck, what beer is this supposed to be a clone of?

It's called "Maple Wheat Ale" from Niagara Falls Brewing Co., Ontario, Canada. Thanks for your help. Hopefully it will be delicious. Do you think I could just go ahead and put 10 for an added little kick? Will that make a huge difference?

Going down to 9lbs or up to 10lbs will not make any significant difference in the flavor, so I wouldn't worry about it, either way. If you want a slightly stronger beer, go to 10lbs. If you want a beer that is just the tiniest bit weaker, drop down to 9lbs.

As for the maple syrup, I bet it would taste quite a bit more maple-y and interesting if you used Grade B maple syrup. Do a little research into it and see what you think.

I made a maple dark ale and used grade B. One pound in the boil and also used it to prime. Definately had a decent maple flavor (more of an aftertaste really) and scent. Mmmmmmmm...... Probably one of my favorites so far.

You can also use the spice fenugreek to impart more of a mapley aroma a well. I've done a Maple beer as an experiment for somethign SWMBO would enjoy.

She says the beer is too sweet, which is odd for her.

I did use maple syrup and fenugreek in secondary--and got a good maple character.

zythe84 said:
I would like to soon begin brewing a Maple Wheat Ale, as found on p. 137 of the book Clone Brews

Hey, did you end up making this? If so, I was wondering how it's turning out - I'm thinking of making the same thing.

Bob

Me, too, maybe- even though I always say I hate wheat beers. I just got done bottling maple syrup at a friend's sugar shack, and have an abundance right now.

bobbo said:
Hey, did you end up making this? If so, I was wondering how it's turning out - I'm thinking of making the same thing.

Bob

I made this clone. I dropped the wheat malt to 9 .lbs, upped the maple syrup to 1 .lb and added about 1/2 .lb brown sugar. The OG was at 1.092. I'm drinking it now, and can honestly say that I can't taste the maple syrup at all, but can taste the brown sugar, which is nice. The LHBS didn't have the yeast strain they suggested so I used the Weihestephan Wyeast 3068. More Hefe flavor than I care for, but the alcohol content is high. Overall its not bad. I would do it again, but change the yeast and try to get more maple flavor. Hope this helps!

I know this is an old post, but...

I was thinking of whipping up a batch of this today and I was wondering when this recipe adds the syrup. I figured I'd at it in the last 15 minutes but who knows.

Thanks.

Well, the sugars in the maple syrup are already ready to go. So there is no need to put it in the boil any longer, it would just potentially carmelize and darken the color, and if boiled too long possibly lose any chance at aroma and flavor potential and be lost in the rest of the sugars.

I would add it at flameout, myself. And maybe a touch more in your secondary, if you want to maintain a maple aroma.

Back