Appropriate Fermenting Container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyxen

Reaction score
I've recently started brewing and have my first two batches successfully fermenting away in glass carboys. I would like to brew more this weekend and have been pricing bucket fermenters and better bottles. The thing is I happen to have several 22 qt food-grade polypropylene containers hanging around aand would like to use them instead. I used to use these to store flour. If I cleaned them out and drilled a hole for the air-lock would I be alright to brew in these?

If it helps the containers look something like this.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics_photos/plastic3.jpg

Should be fine. If it is semi-transparent like the ones in the pic, just make sure to keep it out of the light.

What size batch are you brewing? Remember to leave enough room for the krausen or add a blow off tube instead of the air lock. Everything else should be fine.

Well even though they're supposedly 22 qt containers there's probably an extra quart of room. I figure with a five gallon batch I should be fine with just an airlock but I'll add a blow-off tube if it looks like I need it.

Back