2nd batch in the primary - Time to Relax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Well, the 2nd batch (Ill call this my AB batch - for 'almost *****') I call it this as I followed the instructions (loosely) for Cheeses Carmel Cream Ale.

First, I started with my 32(Ithink)quart turkey fryer wrapped with that duct insulation foam. This worked out rather well as it kept my rolling boil rolling, and almost caused 1 boil over. It took the cooker a minute to do its initial paint and overlapping insulation burn off. (And this of course stunk to high heaven) but after that all was pretty close to smooth sailing.

The weather was pseudo ****ty as we had a small drizzle and as it got darker my outside flood lights decided they didnt want to work anymore (out of nowhere) Now I am boiling flashlight side. (Yay) After getting all of my boiling and adding of the ingredients, I got sloppy and decided that I didnt need to use my hops bag for the other oz of assorted hops and just tossed them in.

Upon the cooling stage, I found that a leaf had blown into my wort (still hot) and pine straw tried to find its way there as well. Got this cleared and cooled wort - time to go into the primary. Well, in seeing that I didnt want to use my hops bag I had a good (what felt to be) a pound of hop poo clogging my filter of the funnel. SO MUCH in fact that the funnel decided that it too wanted to go into the primary along with my freshly cooled wort.

Thank goodness for my 8 year old daughters help here. Between pissing me off at wanting to 'help' (then disappearing and complaining when I did it myself) I got the last of the wort into the bucket. (And a generous helping on the floor too)

Thoroughly frustrated at this point (Speaking of which - I need to take my meds) I went ahead and pitched the yeast and slammed the lid on saying '****it' Why dont I just go ahead and relax, dont worry, and have a... CRAP!!! MY OTHER BREW IS STILL IN THE PRIMARY!!

Guess Im going to sit back and hope for the best on this one folks. This is definitely going to be a 123 brew. Glad I still have the empty carboy for this one.

Oh yeah, and I lost my irish moss so that didnt go in either.
If EVER I rethought this obsession it was tonight. Hopefully this will all change when I crack that first one. :D
We shall see!
-Me

P.S. Did I mention that I TOTALLY forgot about my SG readings?
Brilliant huh? I thought so...

Ahhh, that's just "2nd batch sh*T happening". Gotta have screwups now and then, and I think a hell of a lot of them happen when ya brew that second batch. The 3rd batch will be a breeze...wait and see.

LOL I figured that this was par for the course, and I was pretty much over it within 15 minutes as I found myself asking what I was going to brew next.

Oh yeah, and I will spare everyone from the 'Is my beer alright??!' thread tonight because the airlock was bubbling not even 20 minutes from pitching the yeast. ;) Musta been the fact that I half assed made a starter. (See - cup of warm water and put the yeast in it until it sinks to the bottom then clouds the everloving**** out of the glass - no wort added)

Gee, Im thirsty... Its sad because I have another 6 pack of Bud Select in the back of a fridge that has been there over a year. A buddy brought it over some time ago and I have yet to touch the stuff. Damn, a month seems like such a long time to sample my FIRST brew which will be bottled later this week. (Hopefully)
-Me

20 minutes seems too short for the yeasts to start. That's awesum if it was actually the yeast. I wonder if it might have been a temp change in the wort?

I wouldn't worry about the brewing. I have done that stuff before. Something usually comes up and bites you in the butt.

Back