Extract recipe calls for sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellow52

Reaction score
From my Clone Brews book most of the extract recipes calls for sparge.

I am getting ready to clone the Castle Larger. It goes like this:

Crush and steep grains in 1/2 gal 150F water for 20 min

Strain the grain water into brew pot. - Question: does the word strain here mean transfer to brew pot through a strainer / sieve?

Sparge the grains with 1/2 gal water at 150F. - Question: so just hold the bag of grains over the brew pot and slowly pour the 1/2 gal of water over it rinsing it in a way?

Add water to brew pot for 1.5gal total volume

Boil

Remove and add DME and bittering hops

Add water for total volume of 2.5gal and boil for 45min

Add flavor hops and Irish moss

Boil 13min

Add aroma hops

Boil for 2 min and flame out. Cool for 15 min

Stain the cooled wort into primary and add cold water for 5gal

When wort (using wort chiller) is under 80F pitch the yeast

Primary ferment 5-7 days transfer to secondary for 4 weeks/end of fermentation and bottle.

Thanks for help on my two questions.

After you steep the grains put a strainer over your brew pot and strain your grains. Then poor the .5 gal over the grains through the strainer.

With this recipe, they're assuming you won't be using a bag for your grains. Personally, I would use a bag like you said. Steep your grains in your normal brew pot, and then pull the grain bag out after 20 minutes and put it in a strainer/colander. Then take your 1/2 gallon of "sparge water" and pour it over the grains in the strainer/colander and let the water run into your kettle. I would also raise the temp of your sparge water to 170.

With this recipe, they're assuming you won't be using a bag for your grains. Personally, I would use a bag like you said. Steep your grains in your normal brew pot, and then pull the grain bag out after 20 minutes and put it in a strainer/colander. Then take your 1/2 gallon of "sparge water" and pour it over the grains in the strainer/colander and let the water run into your kettle. I would also raise the temp of your sparge water to 170.

It makes perfect sense to me now. Thank you so much!

Agreed. I have the same clone recipe book and I did the same thing mentioned here. It was the 60 minute IPA clone. It's dryhopping in the fermenter now and I think it'll come out great!

Back