Just finished bottling first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHans3

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I just finished bottling my first batch of beer... what a mess. How do you guys bottle? Any special or effective techniques you guys use.
Also, I suck at using my autosiphon. Between bottling and siphoning, I think I feel like I have oxygenated my beer quite a few times. Any help with how to effectively use an autosiphon would also be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Chans

My primary fermenter has a spigot. I use a bottling wand, batch prime and PET bottles. I put the fermenter on the dryer and a small sampling/"catch the drips" cup underneath. I try to have an "economy of effort."

I haven't used my autosiphon so I can't comment on that. I have used baking sheets with edges on them and I place the bottles on those to catch any overflow. However, with the bottling wand (hopefully your using one of those) I seldom have much of that any more. I fill to just before the top and pull up stopping the flow and leaving just the right amount of room. You just have to make sure you have sufficient light to see the beer as it comes up the neck. I have been wiping down my bottles with a bit of sanitizer on a paper towel after capping and before putting them in a box. I have had mold grow on the outside of the bottles from my unwiped overflows.

Hope that helps.

If you check You Tube there are some nice auto-siphon tutorials. For the first batch, I siphoned the initial, most aerated bit into a sampling glass, then the rest went into bottles. It seemed to work well, but we switched to the bottling bucket with a wand attached, as petey said, for "economy of effort".

Back