Is my cider gluten free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulcan7864

Reaction score
Alright, so I am making a hard cider for my SWMBO, and she wants to share it with her friend. Her friend has celiac disease so i was wondering if my cider is going to be gluten free, and if someone could explain to me what makes it have gluten and what doesn't (beer included) that would be awesome. Here is what i used for the cider:

Mott's apple juice, Langers pomegranate raspberry juice, and Red Star Montrachet yeast.

Any help would be great, and thanks in advance.

All of your ingredients are gluten free as far as I can see - Red Star claims that all of their yeast is gluten free and fruit juices do not contain gluten. Gluten is generally found in cereal grains (barley, wheat, etc). Not all yeast claims to be 100% gluten free. If your friend is truly celiac it's probably best to play it safe, but you should be in the clear with your cider.

AFAIK, all dry yeast is gluten-free -- it's the liquid yeast that is typically not. (Although even then, once it is diluted down in your cider/beer/mead/whatever, it arguably would qualify for the gov't definition of gluten-free, but I suppose it's in general better not to chance it). Apple juice, raspberry juice, you're good to go.

You cider folks are lucky. I am planning on doing a GF beer pretty soon, and us beer guys have to modify stuff a fair bit to do that. You know, barley being one of the primary components of beer and all.... :D

Excellent, and I and going to bottle condition them with dextrose to carbonate them, is that still okay?

Yup...just make sure to let it ferment fully before you do and don't add more than to create 3 volumes of CO2. This is approx 4 oz for 5gal.

Back