Porter Recipe Critique - Any help appreciated!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
Hi All, this is my first Extract recipe I decided to concoct after downloading BeerTools.. however, being new to recipe formulation, I could use some tips...

Porter
----------------
5.5lb Dark DME
.75lb Crystal malt 120L
.5 lb Belgian Biscuit
.25lb Belgian Chocolate Malt
.25lb Victory Malt
1.5oz East Kent Goldings (60 mins)
1oz Fuggles (Flameout)
WLP017 Whitbread Ale yeast

I'm trying to go for a "bready" and roasted tasting porter.. I read that Victory malt can be mashed or steeped.. so i was going to give it a shot. Any tips/points/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

I would bump up the chocolate malt to around 1/2 pound and add about the same amount of roasted malt. I think you could get by with pretty much any color of DME, seeing as the grains will give the majority of the color. Sounds good otherwise.

I would bump up the chocolate malt to around 1/2 pound and add about the same amount of roasted malt. I think you could get by with pretty much any color of DME, seeing as the grains will give the majority of the color. Sounds good otherwise.

I was going to use the Victory Malt as my "roasted" malt since its characteristics say "A unique, lightly roasted malt that provides a warm "biscuity " character". Do you think it would be good to just up that to .5lbs?

Victory and biscuit malts are very similar, I would not use that much of both. 8 oz of either is a good rate for 5 gallons, but if you really want to push the bready notes 12 oz might be ok.

Victory and biscuit malts are very similar, I would not use that much of both. 8 oz of either is a good rate for 5 gallons, but if you really want to push the bready notes 12 oz might be ok.

Here is an updated recipe:

Porter
----------------
5.5lb Dark DME
.75lb Crystal malt 120L
.25 lb Belgian Biscuit
.5lb Belgian Chocolate Malt
.25lb Victory Malt
1.5oz East Kent Goldings (60 mins)
1oz Fuggles (Flameout)
WLP017 Whitbread Ale yeast

I haven't used much of the biscuit / victory malt, but I do want some of that bready flavor to stand out in the porter. Another poster mentioned to up the chocolate malt to .5lbs. Will .25lb of Victory and .25 of Biscuit impact enough of the bready flavor into the porter?

Back