Strawberry Porter gone funky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

512Brew

Reaction score
Got roped into adding 3lbs of strawberries into a kickass porter by the wife as I was racking to 2ndary. Thought, what the hey, never done a fruit beer. Cooked the frozen strawberries to 170, cooled down, racked porter on top in plastic bucket. Now at week 3 pulled top up and it smells like a god awfull hippi fart! I did save a growler of the origional porter, which came out great. Should I maybe add more yeast or just ride it out?

Ride it out.........was the strawberry intense.... I would never imagine to add strawberries in a porter.

I am curious to try this.......thanks

Well, how long are you going to let it agee in the bottle?

Please do update once this is done... I've never considered a fruit porter, but it sounds strangely mouth-watering.

Got roped into adding 3lbs of strawberries into a kickass porter by the wife as I was racking to 2ndary. Thought, what the hey, never done a fruit beer. Cooked the frozen strawberries to 170, cooled down, racked porter on top in plastic bucket. Now at week 3 pulled top up and it smells like a god awfull hippi fart! I did save a growler of the origional porter, which came out great. Should I maybe add more yeast or just ride it out?

From what I've gathered, primary 2 weeks or so, depending on the beer, then onto fruit for 10 days, then racked into 3rd clear vessel for another 10 days. I've done it this way with a basic pale racked onto 6 pounds of raspberries. I don't remember if it stunk when on the fruit, but it smelled good when in the clear vessel.

I was actually thinking about racking a 3rd time from bucket into glass carboy. The trick with strawberries is trying not to end up with alot of tartness, just enough of the strawberry flavor at the end. I've read that some have added some cane sugar?

Cane sugar wouldn't help at all with the tartness since it would just ferment out. You'd need to add something unfermentable to sweeten it, like lactose or splenda.

I wonder if you have added enough strawberries? I hear strawberries have a low flavor addition per weight and then doing battle with a porter...

Also, I didn't have good luck with Splenda in my cider I tried last year. Grant it the cider wasn't the best to begin with, but the Splenda did not help things out at all. Very weird flavor that came out of it in high quantities.

Cane sugar wouldn't help at all with the tartness since it would just ferment out. You'd need to add something unfermentable to sweeten it, like lactose or splenda.

Why not blend the strawberries with a little baking soda to neutralize the citric acid, since perceived tartness is usually due to low pH?

Back