Stainless pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the 8 gallon pot I got off Amazon this week. $29 free shipping
It's aluminum (I would love SS 10 gallon, but can't afford yet) I'm boiling it now.

Here's the link on Amazon if anyone is interested.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00194DVJI

brew kettle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I have to use stainless to boil in or can I use stoneware?

I used a "GRANITEWARE" pot from bed Bath and Beyond for years. It worked great and fit over three burners on my stove so I was able to do full boils for 5 gallon batches. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

Now I have upgraded to a SPikebrewing kettle, but see no problem with the enamel coated stoneware.

Looks like a different style steamer tray than what I got. Nice lookin kettle though.

Thanks, for the price it will suit me well until I go all grain. Then I will break down and invest in a 10+ gallon SS. One project/paycheck at a time :mug:

In theory this is the rumor.

Actual science states that Aluminum oxidizes the instant it touches oxygen...so even if you took a scrubby and rubbed the hell out of it, the aluminum forms an oxide the instant it touches air.

You should still not scratch it though with abrasives, just because it will scratch more easily than steel.

Technically this is true for pure aluminum or high grade aluminum alloys, but not so much for cheaper or cast alloys. Those alloys have a hard time self passivating so most places will apply a thin layer of pure aluminum to the surface of the alloy. That will provide your oxide layer, but if you scrub it off you'll expose the base alloy and will have to force passivate it to build up the oxidation to prevent pitting and corrosion.

Source: 14 years as a machinist. Its my job to know metals.

Back