question or two about amylase.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhatchable

Reaction score
I am going to brew the Thunderstruck all grain batch this weekend and have some amylase that I picked up with my grain bill. My thinking at the time was that some extra amylase in the mash could help convert the starches from the pumpkin. my thinking at the time was that that is an aweful lot of pumpkin compared to the two row... just want to shoot for max efficiency. good idea?

Also a side question for the future about amylase. If I decided I wanted to do, oh lets say a white wheat and sorachi smash, could I convert just wheat using bottled amylase? otherwise adding two row would make it not a smash.
thanks
:mug:

I am going to brew the Thunderstruck all grain batch this weekend and have some amylase that I picked up with my grain bill. My thinking at the time was that some extra amylase in the mash could help convert the starches from the pumpkin. my thinking at the time was that that is an aweful lot of pumpkin compared to the two row... just want to shoot for max efficiency. good idea?

Also a side question for the future about amylase. If I decided I wanted to do, oh lets say a white wheat and sorachi smash, could I convert just wheat using bottled amylase? otherwise adding two row would make it not a smash.
thanks
:mug:

Not using any malt would also make it not a smash, right?

well using white wheat malt... but i'm not to sure if malted wheat can convert itself.

any opinion on amylase with the pumpkin?

well using white wheat malt... but i'm not to sure if malted wheat can convert itself.

any opinion on amylase with the pumpkin?

White wheat malt should convert itself (check the malt analysis). Make friends with rice hulls.

How much pumpkin to two row? Lightly kilned barley malt has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more amylase than it needs to convert itself. I guess a little extra as an insurance policy won't hurt anything.

Back