Small gift for a home brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summertimeclothes

Reaction score
Hello all,

I hope this is in the right place. I poked around and didn't see any recent topics about this and google was less than helpful!

I'm looking for a small gift for a home brewer--as far as I know, he's established fairly well already and has the supplies he needs.

It's not really a gift for a momentous occasion, but we're getting closer and I'd like to surprise him with something fun, just for the heck of it. To show him that I think he's a pretty cool guy, you know?

Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what he likes to brew, so I can't offer much there...

I was thinking along the lines of a bag of roasted or specialty malts, or a bag of hops? Am I on the right track here?

Any suggestions or help would be very greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Maybe some nice glassware would be the thing. 20-ounce pub glasses are always good.

depending on how much you want to spend, you could buy him a recipe's worth of ingredients. i assure you he would be jazzed about that. if that's something you want to do, let us know and we'll recommend a beer. probably cost you $35 or so depending on the recipe. do you happen to know if he does extract or all grain?

If he kegs: An extra corney keg would be awesome and needed to any brewer.
If he does all-grain and doesn't have one: Refractometer (can usually get one for $35 of ebay)

Those two things any brewer would love. Besides that cool glassware is always a good gift.

I would say go for a recipe kit, something you both might enjoy. The pub glasses are also a cool idea but I would go for something more personal, maybe some logo glasses from a pub you go to. If you try to get equipment you run the risk of getting something he already has, except for extra carboys, you can always use extra carboys.

I've taken a liking to the Sam Adams glasses. You can get them on their website. Samuel Adams – America’s World Class Beer. One down side their only 12 oz. and they are $30 a set of 4.

Actually they're 14 ounce.. Great idea as I have these and they're nice beer glasses.

Buying gifts for hobbyists is always hard. You probably don't know what he has already -- which books, which equipment. I think we've all seen people go terribly wrong here: "I heard you like to bake so I bought you some cake pans." "I know you're a big Bob Dylan fan so I bought you his greatest hits CD." Um, don't you think I'd have that stuff already?

Consumables are always nice, because it's hard to have too much, but even then, he may have lots in bulk. I personally wouldn't want a recipe kit unless I specified one, because I often have plenty of brews planned in the pipeline. If he just likes to drink beer in general, you can buy him a bottle of a really expensive Belgian.

Just picked up one of the futuristic Sam Adam's glasses today and it was great. My new favorite glass. I don't think it does everything that's advertised but I do like the lip on them putting the beer on the front of your tongue. I think that works.

I would suggest a set of these or consumables. You could just ask questions very innocently for chit-chat and see what he's been planning on buying or is out of. This always works with my wife and she is surprised when she gets something she has wanted..... or maybe she just acts nieve to how I find out what she wants.

I am going to add +1 to the ingredients for a recipe . . .but I am going to take it one step further and add just one thing. A note that states that you will will participate in the brew session . . . roll up your sleaves . . . ask questions . . . participate in every step in the brew process. Even if it is something you never do again you will understand the hobby and be able to participate in future conversations or at very least comprehend what he is talking about he is talking about when he gets geeked out on future brew sessions and starts babbling about all things brewing.

+1 on the gift certificate or book. Of course i'd love if someone got me a refractometer. but then i may spend my gift certificate on that, too.

+1 on the joint brewing session - he'll get more enjoyment from the fact that you want to learn the process than he would drinking a beer you bought for him. So pick a style that you both really like and you'll get plenty of recipe suggestions here, or order a kit from a reputable shop like AHS, NorthernBrewer, Morebeer, etc. Give him the recipe kit and tell him you want to help with every step of the process from pre-cleaning to packaging.

Just make sure you know if he does extract, partial-mash or all grain. If you vaguely describe the equipment or brew-day activities we can probably help you out. :)

I am going to add +1 to the ingredients for a recipe . . .but I am going to take it one step further and add just one thing. A note that states that you will will participate in the brew session . . . roll up your sleaves . . . ask questions . . . participate in every step in the brew process. Even if it is something you never do again you will understand the hobby and be able to participate in future conversations or at very least comprehend what he is talking about he is talking about when he gets geeked out on future brew sessions and starts babbling about all things brewing.

I could not have said it any better. I know that when my girlfriend takes an interest and helps with the brew day (usually putting the hops in) it makes it more enjoyable. Even if you decide its not really your thing you'll at least learn a little and maybe gain a little appreciation for good beer.

Good idea. I would also say you could always buy the ingredients for a beer that you would like to drink, that makes it more personal. Take a look here:
Austin Homebrew Supply

They have kits for every imaginable beer style and $7.99 shipping.

How about a copy of the documentary "Beer Wars." I know its one I've been wanting to see. Being a beer enthusiast, he may have already seen it, but I know it would be a gift I would appreciate.

Buying gifts for hobbyists is always hard. You probably don't know what he has already -- which books, which equipment.

I agree. My wife is a hardcore scrapbooker, and has tons of stuff. If she doesn't give me list of something that she wants, it is very hard to pick out a gift. Sometimes I go the gift cert route.

A gift certificate is nice, but not as personal. I have an idea.

Tell him you are taking him out for a special day. Drive to a local home brew store (LHBS), and offer to by him whatever he wants up to X dollars. After that take him out to dinner at a local brewery or his favorite beer bar.

Maybe some other hbt'ers near urbna, IL can point you to a LHBS in your area.

I also throw a vote in for taking part in a brew with him. My wife is very supportive of my hobby, but has no interest in brewing with me. It would make my day if she would give me the gift of brewing with me one day.

Latest posts

Back