Saving yeast from a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I was making a 10 gallon batch of a Fat Tire clone last week with the Wyeast VSS 1792 Fat Tire Ale Yeast and decided to make a 5L starter and save a bunch of the starter slury, I have about 100ml of goodness in a 1000 ml flask with about 1/2" of wort covering it. It has been in the fridge a little over a week now (kind of forgot about it).

Since I just made 10 gallons and that VSS strain will be off the market in a week or two. What is the best way to keep it for a few months or even longer.

Should I split it up into a few sanitized pint jars? I really dont want to get the glycerine / vials & go thru all the steps to freeze it.

I've kept yeast in jars in the fridge for months with no probs. I also freeze on a regular basis

I keep my yeast in the white labs vials. Yeast actually lasts longer than you think; I recently fermented a London Porter with yeast from 2006 and I only had a 24 hour lag time. As long as your yeast is still a nice grayish white, it's most likely viable.

Sounds good I will split it up and put it back in the fridge for more Fat Tire :)

i just washed some of the vss fat tire from my fat tire clone (which tastes outstanding so far, BTW) and i'll use that for another batch soon, and probably wash from that batch and use a third time. i have 8 vials frozen away, and i have another smack pack on the way from NB that is scheduled to arrive on monday. i certainly plan to keep this strain going and going and going.

Back