Decoction method on a ceramic stove top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franknorrispr

Reaction score
I currently brew my single infusion brews on my apartment and I use a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler. I usually boil 6.5 gallons of wort on my ceramic stove top and I'm having great results. The next brew I'm planning is going to be a Czeck Pilsner using bohemian pilsner and carahell malts. I'm not sure if the bohemian pilsner is a well modified malt so I can use the single infusion method. To make sure I get the best out of the malt I'm planning to do the decoction method but I'm afraid to scorch the grains when boiling on the ceramic stove top. I guess that if I keep stirring the grains I will not have that problem but I want suggestions on that. Anywone has heated grains on a ceramic stove top without scorching the grains.

I'll appreciate any help on this matter!

almost all grain these days is well modified unless your getting something specific like an undermodified pilsner malt. Your going to have to stir constantly until it boils so you don't scorch no matter what type of stove or burner you have.

Ok but will it make a difference if I use a stove top or a gas burner? Should I raise the temp on the stove slowly or can I turn it on high and keep stirring? I know that either way I must always stirr vigorously!

Another option is to replicate the flavor produced by decoctions by using melanoidin malt. But that takes half the fun away.

I think you would be find just cranking the burner up, and to keep a close eye on it and stir constantly.

Ok but will it make a difference if I use a stove top or a gas burner? Should I raise the temp on the stove slowly or can I turn it on high and keep stirring? I know that either way I must always stirr vigorously!

either way your ending up with the same thing. Stir like hell. i would do med hi just because it will give you a bit more leeway but either should work fine. Its going to take some time either way....

Latest posts

Back