Ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Fifteen minutes into the boil on a beer for the wife with ginger. I've never used it before but she grated some root today for me. She had Atlantic Brewing's Island Ginger and really liked it. Man the ginger smells strong!

.5 lb. honey malt
.5 lb. 20L Crystal
5 lb. wheat DME, 4 lbs. added with 15 minutes left.
1 oz. Glacier 7.4% for 60

Going to add 1.5oz. ginger at with 15 min. and another 1.5oz. at flameout. Sound right? I've seen amounts anywhere from 2oz. to 6oz. in a 5 gallon batch. The ginger is pretty subdued in the target beer(Island Ginger) and the brewery did not respond with some recipe help. The beer itself should be pretty light, but the ginger? I guess I'm pretty set on what I want to do just wanted some last minute back-up from the brain-trust before I make something with absolutely no ginger presence or something over the top with ginger. Like I said, I've yet to use it and it smells pretty overpowering.

Stuck to plan except I added an oz. of Hallertau at 20 min. I'm a hop spaz, what can I say?

This is my first "middle of brewing" post and the lack of response leads me to believe that I must be on the right track with my recipe formulation. Hopefully this'll be another one for the database.

As for amounts, I have no experience but my guess is you'll have a noticable but not overpowering ginger flavor. Frow what I understand, the longer boil times for ginger lend the typical ginger "spiciness" to the beer while the shorter boil times provide flavor. It's good you've got both going on in there.

Back