O.G., S.G., F.G. and Other Terms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueMac

Reaction score
Okay, sorry but I'm getting confused...
S.G. = starting gravity
F.G. = finished gravity
O.G. = Original gravity or...? Thanks for your help!

Okay, so SG and OG are the same. That's what I thought.

Now for the tricky question: A lot of "Apfelweiners" (and others) are using the term SWMBO. I know they're referring to the significant person in their lives but what do all the letters mean?

Sexy Wife who Makes Beautiful Omlets?
Sexy White Mama ...
SWinging Mama...
Single W hite Male...

Answers could be interesting... Trouble is, I may not get the correct answer!! HAHAHA!

Actually... SG and OG are not really the same although they are used pretty much as the same thing here. The SG is your Specific Gravity. The SG can be taken at anytime during the brewing process. So say you brew a beer with 1.050 as the OG (original gravity), you check it two days later and it is at 1.030 (the Specific Gravity, SG) and you're waiting for it to get to 1.015 for the FG (final gravity).

The SWMBO term can be defined many ways as you'll probably see in a second. The "real" meaning is "She Who Must Be Obeyed".....

I'll try saying it another way. Specific Gravity is the name for the measurement no matter when it occurs. If you do it before fermentation starts it's OG if you do it when it's done it's FG. There's no fancy name for measuring SG any time between.

Thanks for clarifying! I get it now! Specific Gravity is the measurement at the time, whenever that may be with Original being before fermentation and Finished or Final after fermentation is complete. Makes sense!

She Who Must Be Obeyed? Wow! I LIKE that!!! Thanks for the "true" meaning! Apparently my thoughts were swinging the wrong way but I have a feeling I won't be the only one!!
Thanks again for all your help!

Back