Base Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyder66

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone uses for a recipe. I have been using 1 cup sugar per gallon. I was using loose tea, but not exactly measuring. Just looking for some guidance, to figure out my mistakes. Thanks

Just wondering what everyone uses for a recipe. I have been using 1 cup sugar per gallon. I was using loose tea, but not exactly measuring. Just looking for some guidance, to figure out my mistakes. Thanks

If you want us to figure out your mistakes, you have to post your EXACT recipe. Otherwise there's no sense!

If you want us to figure out your mistakes, you have to post your EXACT recipe. Otherwise there's no sense!

That is my recipe 1 cup of sugar per gallon. And, loose black tea. I did exactly measure it out.

I use

90-100 grams white sugar
4 grams green tea
2 grams black tea

per liter.

The 2 I've done so far have been with ~30g loose black tea per gallon and 1 cup sugar per gallon. Next batch I will finally start experimenting with fruit additions

12oz loose tea
1 cup sugar
1 gallon water

I presume you mean 12 grams of loose tea?

Otherwise, this is my recipe too. I boil 4 c. of water, steep the tea. Add the sugar to dissolve, pour into my gallon jar, top with cold filtered water. Once the temp is in the right range, add the SCOBY and 1 c. starter tea.

I do keep some litmus paper around and check the PH. If it's too high, add 1 Tbsp. white vinegar.

Back