Puterbaugh (Hops Direct) Rocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MriswitH

Reaction score
Just got my shipment in from Puterbaugh after overwhelming reviews from people across multiple boards. I was a bit disappointed to see that AHS had put on a sale for their hops because I had just placed my order with Puterbaugh 2-days prior and it would have saved me about $10, but after I received my shipment I completely revoke my statement.

I had heard that they sometimes over packaged their hops, but sheesh:

1lb of Amarillo pellets, real weight 1lb, 9 oz.
1lb of Hersbrucker (GR) pellets, real weight 1lb, 6oz.
1lb of Fuggles leaf, real weight 1lb, 5oz.

These guys are phenomenal! Their customer support and shipping, packaging, et al were all on par; I will be placing my hop order through them exclusively from now on, no offense to AHS / Midwest intended.

Me = happy customer.

Mine arrived today.

1# of Tettnanger....real weight 1 Lb 9 oz

1# of Hallertau.......real weight 1 Lb 11 oz

1# of Hersbrucker...real weight 1 Lb 6 oz

Satisified I am, thanks to Hops Direct.

that's awesome! I've been wanting to do a lethal IPA, and I was thinking abut just ******* over some cash and buying an ass-load of hops. I guess I'll have to look into them!:mug:

EDIT

The asterisks above ******
I typed the work "F O R K I N G"
funny. I guess ******* is close enough to ****ing:D

But the word "Ass" makes it through the filter!

talleymonster said:
that's awesome! I've been wanting to do a lethal IPA, and I was thinking abut just ******* over some cash and buying an ass-load of hops. I guess I'll have to look into them!:mug:

Well do it soon, brother---hop prices are about to skyrocket. 2-4x. That's why I'm stocking up now. Do you have a foodsaver?

EDIT: God, what a stupid mother-fork*r! :D

Evan! said:
Well do it soon, brother---hop prices are about to skyrocket. 2-4x. That's why I'm stocking up now. Do you have a foodsaver?

EDIT: God, what a stupid mother-fork*r! :D

No, but SWMBO has been bugging the hell out of me to buy one. I guess I should get one now!

talleymonster said:
No, but SWMBO has been bugging the hell out of me to buy one. I guess I should get one now!

Yeah, definitely...otherwise, those hops won't last too long, and you'll be forced to brew a bunch of pliny or ruination clones. Not the end of the world, I know...but really, a foodsaver is worth it on so many levels, not just brewing.

Evan! said:
Yeah, definitely...otherwise, those hops won't last too long, and you'll be forced to brew a bunch of pliny or ruination clones. Not the end of the world, I know...but really, a foodsaver is worth it on so many levels, not just brewing.

Yeah, my wife wants to make our daughters babyfood with a food precessor and freeze it. Might be able to use it for that as well. And I usually buy steaks in the big family packs and seperate them into freezer bags. I think the food saver would be much easier!

talleymonster said:
Yeah, my wife wants to make our daughters babyfood with a food precessor and freeze it. Might be able to use it for that as well. And I usually buy steaks in the big family packs and seperate them into freezer bags. I think the food saver would be much easier!

Yeah, SO much easier. We freeze liquid all the time (stocks, etc) and then foodsave them once they're frozen. Meats from Sams Club...and from hunting season...hell yeah.

Evan! said:
Yeah, SO much easier. We freeze liquid all the time (stocks, etc) and then foodsave them once they're frozen. Meats from Sams Club...and from hunting season...hell yeah.

Yeah, I just went to thaw some Elk Chorizo the other day and it was freezer burnt to hell. :mad:

Bobby_M said:
My big question is, are you guys getting 2007 harvest hops or ones that have been sitting around since last year? I think it's counter productive to buy old hops in bulk.

I've been in contact with Puterbaugh Farms (aka Direct Hops) for a while and the latest update is that the 07 whole hop harvest will be available about the middle of october (originally was the beginning), and the 07 pellet hops will be available at the beginning of november

Bobby_M said:
My big question is, are you guys getting 2007 harvest hops or ones that have been sitting around since last year? I think it's counter productive to buy old hops in bulk.
It's pretty much gotta be the 2006 crop. The 2007 harvest has just finished, I think, and processing will begin.

However, the last bulk order of hops I did (whole leaf) I used for ~18 months without any noticeable degradation. My understanding is that pellets last even longer.

I just order a few pounds of different pellets as I'm working up an IIPA which will use a fair amount of them, and I'll be able to go through the rest relatively quickly (I hope!). I'll likely get some from the new crop, as well. Hopefully the harvest is better next year.

I like Hops Direct, too! I've only done one bulk order with them, but I got nearly twice the amount I ordered. Fast shipping, too. Great folks there!

Back