How to Determine Alchohol Content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sontavas

Reaction score
When using my Hydrometer, there is a section for potential alcohol content. Is there any way to get a reading on actual alcohol content after you fermentation is complete and you have taken a second reading?

Also I added extra sugar (I think it was dry malt extract) that the local Homebrew store recommended for additional alcohol content. My SG reading was 1.082 which seems really high and corresponds to around 10% potential alcohol on Hydrometer. Has anyone ever done this and if so how did it turn out?

FYI I am brewing a Brewers Best Bold Series American Nut Brown Ale.

I just use my brewing software, but you can also just go with a free calculator like this.

With 1.082, you'll likely end up with an out-of-style (and a bit harsh) alcohol component in the final beer. I've made an imperial stout that started at 1.147 before and ended around 1.040, or 15% ABV. It's like motor oil!

The thing to do is ignore the potential alcohol (PA) scale, and read the SG scale. The formula for ABV is: (OG-FG) x .131 = ABV

So, you just subtract your ending gravity from the original gravity reading, and multiply by .131. That's the way that calculators do it, too.

Latest posts

Back