AAR on large BIAB brew....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmodog51

Reaction score
yesterday was brew day for my first large BIAB. used the A.G. recipe from the northern brewer web site for a belgian saison.

10lbs belgian pale
.75lb caramel 90
3 oz hersbrucker

added .75lbs of carapils & 1lb of home made belgian candi to the mix.
and reduced the hops to 2ozs

O.G was 1040 and maybe incorrect because the wort was pretty warm at the time of the reading. as a extract brewer i didn't use the hydrometer much if at all, looking from the curve.......just checked the recipe and O.G. should've been 1056.....

my crush was pretty fine.....cereal killer did a fine job (NPI):D
mashed for 90 min at 149-150.
mash out at 168-170.
boil time was extended due to estimating too much water for the pot.:confused:

i thought i was going to have problems with stabilizing the mash temps...it was chilly here in florida yesterday 67'. wrapped the pot in an old reflective dash board screen and a blanket. checked mid way at 45 min and only lost 1degree.

the immersion heater did great using a pond pump with the ice chest filled with salted ice & water. the wort entering the carboy was 80'.

the wort was drained into a funnel lined with voile. this did a good job of filtering.

all in all not a bad day ....but i was suprised at the weight of the grain bag when i removed it from the pot. even using a pulley and rope it was much heavier than i expected.

the bag was hung over the pot to drain and then a oven rack was placed over the pot for the bag to rest upon. this very sturdy platform allowed me to squeeze the rest of the wort out by hand that wouldn't normally drain.
there was quite alot!

my calculations for water was 2 qts @ lb
absorbtion was based on .10 gallon @ lb
the evap is where i think i screwed up i added 2 gallons
though i did a evap test which showed 2 gallons evap in an hour using clear water i think i may have miscalculated when doing the test.
this is why my boil was extended.
post boil racked into the carboy was 5 gallon on the mark.

will secondary this in a keg under pressure then crash cool & serve from keg.

thanx for reading....

GD51:mug:

Latest posts

Back