Too much head space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say anything comes to mind. Also think the question could be if there is an issue with the additional surface area using 10-15 gallon batches.

Good question. I have been looking at 14 gal SS conicals which are a popular size/model. These allow for 4 gal of head space (assuming you are making a 10 gal batch). Have not heard anything about headspace problems from those using this setup. However, 10 gal of headspace (assuming a 10 gal batch) may be another matter but I don't know. Interested in hearing what others who have experience with conicals have to say. Montanaandy

I ferment small batches in buckets without issue so I can't image you would have any issues either. The head space gets filled with CO2 and pushes the O2 out.

I ferment small batches in buckets without issue so I can't image you would have any issues either. The head space gets filled with CO2 and pushes the O2 out.
Meaning a 2gal batch in a 5gal fermenter?

Back