Anyone have a good white ipa recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRems

Reaction score
Anyone have a good white ipa recipe? I looked but the only ones I found didn't have much feedback. Thanks!

I have to confess I've never heard of a white IPA. Dark/Black IPA (Cascadian Dark Ale)...but not white.

malkore said:
I have to confess I've never heard of a white IPA. Dark/Black IPA (Cascadian Dark Ale)...but not white.

Boulevard and Deschutes did a collaboration white IPA last year. It was pretty good.

American White IPA
The goal of this recipe is a to produce an easy to drink, refreshing summer American white (Wheat) IPA. Stronger than a traditional American wheat Ale with more hops but no astringency. Exclusively using hops to get hints of the floral/fruitiness of the German Wiezens without the use of any fruit adjuncts or fruity yeast and no diacetyl.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1271621/specialty-beer-recipes/american-white-ipa

Thanks, but still as unsure as before. It seems the hopville recipe uses American yeast and the AHS recipe call for Belgian yeast. I have some wlp-400 so I think I'm going to use that. I think I'll use something like this
2-row 6lb
light wheat 5lb
flaked wheat 2lb
aromatic -1lb
coriander 1/4oz
orange peel 1oz
and possibly 8-12oz of candy sugar

didn't come up with a hop schedule yet but it will be all late addition hopped to get the ibus around 50
I'll probably use centennial, cascade , and chinook to get the fruitiness that should go well with the coriander and orange.

Thanks, but still as unsure as before. It seems the hopville recipe uses American yeast and the AHS recipe call for Belgian yeast. I have some wlp-400 so I think I'm going to use that. I think I'll use something like this
2-row 6lb
light wheat 5lb
flaked wheat 2lb
aromatic -1lb
coriander 1/4oz
orange peel 1oz
and possibly 8-12oz of candy sugar

didn't come up with a hop schedule yet but it will be all late addition hopped to get the ibus around 50
I'll probably use centennial, cascade , and chinook to get the fruitiness that should go well with the coriander and orange.

I'm a beginner, but I think the Belgian yeast will give it the zesty refreshing twang that traditionally works well with the wheat - so long as it's fermented at a lower temp to keep out any banana flavors. However, I'm huge fan of northern CA IPAs and wanted to see if I could get that refreshing floral flavor from just hops, and I have heard that the strain of yeast I'm using gives of a slight lemony flavor when fermented at low temps.

I've got this one about 6 days into primary right now, which was largely based on Wittmania's posting on HBT, as well as info from Deschutes and Boulevard.

7.25 lb (52.2%) Belgian Pils
0.25 lb (1.8%) Belgian Munich
1.90 lb (13.7%) Wheat Flaked
3.50 lb (25.2%) Belgian Wheat Malt
0.75 lb (5.4%) Rice Hulls -
0.25 lb (1.8%) Oats Flaked -
1.0 oz (7.1%) Bravo - 60.0 m
2.5 oz (19.8%) Citra™ (12.0%) - 5.0 m
4.0 oz (31.6%) Cascade (5.5%) - 5.0 m
2.0 oz (15.8%) Centennial (10.0%) - 5.0 m
.5 oz Corriander crushed - boiled 5.0 m
1.5 oz Orange zest - boiled 5.0 m
3 green cardmom pods - boiled 5.0 m
0.25 oz (2.0%) Centennial (10.0%) - flameout
0.25 oz (2.0%) Cascade (5.5%) - flameout
0.25 oz (2.0%) Citra™ (12.0%) - flameout
1.0 oz (7.9%) Cascade (5.5%) - dry hop
0.75 oz (5.9%) Centennial (10.0%) - dry hop
.75 oz (5.9%) Citra™ (12.0%) - dry hop
1.0 oz Lemongrass - dry hop
.25 oz Sage - dry hop
White Labs Belgian Ale/Saison Blend

Brew day didn't go as smoothly as I would have hoped. Pretty lousy efficiency, so my OG was 1.060 vs. 1.064 even though I ended up with less in the fermenter than I wanted (4.5 gallons vs. 5).

Latest posts

Back