Farmhouse Ale Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkapinos

Reaction score
Hello,

I have this certain beer with a backstory. Having a tube of WLP670, I decided to make a saison like beer. Nothing out of the ordinary about it, 6.8%abv, 26IBU, extract with specialty grain mini-mash. The beer fermented to 1.014 and I bottled it on a calculated amt of priming sugar. A month later, I had massive overcarbonation. It obviously wasn't done fermenting; a slow terminating yeast. So, I uncapped all the bottles, poured into a 6.5gal bucket and let it rest again. A few weeks later, I rebottled on a standard amt of sugar.

Now, it is near a month after the rebottling. The carbonation is weak-ish. Now the WLP670 American Farmhouse Ale blend is supposed to be a blend of yeast and not yeast (Brett or something?) to give more sourness, wild-like.

The character of this beer is flat. There is no lacing in the glass, the head is rocky and does not persist. I am not very familiar sour beers so how is this supposed to smell and taste? Can it mimic beer flaws like stale, cardboard, etc...?

Any sugg/help is appreciated. Thank you,
Peter

Stale and cardboard flavors are likely from pouring it back into a fermentor introducing oxygen into the beer. Did you add any more sugar when you rebottled? If not, that's why your beer is flat.

Yes, I did rebottle with priming sugar. It's not really the flatness so much as I am wondering if there is a taste flaw. Can sour-ish beers taste like a flaw?

WLP670 should not produce a sour or stale flavor, it's just Sacch and Brett...there's no lactic or other sour cultures in it. It should just produce a slight Brett character, which is often described as "sweaty horse blanket"

Latest posts

Back