Any Hangover M.D.'s ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gibfried said:
I've got hangover head :(

Drank 4 - 12oz. Huge headache the next morning - an all day thing at that.

4 x 12oz. of vodka??

If it was beer, you need to get your tolerance up, man!! I prescribe home-brews, and lots of them. :drunk:

Bringing back an ancient thread for a second...

BlightyBrewer said:
My wife just told me that I may have "Restless Leg Syndrome"! I've never heard of it, but this site sure does cover the symptoms I get, and alcohol apparently makes it worse.

http://www.rls.org/what_is_rls/

Blighty! If you recall (or read above) you and I both have this problem.

I just saw a commercial on TV, and they have medicine for it now. The brand I saw advertised was called "Requip".

Mine doesn't bother me enough that I want to take drugs for it, but I don't know how severe yours is.

-walker

PS: I suspect that my son has this, too. He always complains that his legs hurt when he lays down to sleep at night.

Here's the best formula I've found so far to avoid a hangover:

1) Stay awake as long as possible after you've finished drinking...The less drunk you are when you fall asleep, the less likely you are to be hungover in the morning.
2) While trying to maintain consciousness, have a couple cups of coffee (to keep yourself awake) and lots and lots of water to rehydrate yourself.
3) When you can't stay awake any longer, pop 2-3 ibuprofen and hit the hay. (If the room starts spinning immediately upon laying down, get the hell out of bed immediately and repeat step 2...once you fall asleep with the spins, there is no coming back...you're done for).
4) If at anytime you wake up during the night (bathroom, etc), drink a glass of water. This step can be skipped if you are one of those people with a very small/active bladder, otherwise you'll be waking up every 10 minutes...as you can imagine, this can start a very vicious cycle and cause you to get little or no sleep...or you could just piss the bed, lol
5) Wake up in the morning, 2-3 more ibuprofen, long shower, glass of OJ (i don't reccomend this immediately after brushing your teeth)
6) The most important step - The morning homebrew. That's right, a beer with breakfast. I don't know how or why it works, but if you can manage to put one down in your hungover state, you will feel exponentially better in a very short time.:mug:

On a side note, if you're not able to stay awake for a while after you finish drinking (work,school,etc. the next morning), skip the coffee, double the water, take the ibupofen, and hit the sheets.

Can you tell that I've had to implement this strategy more than a few times? I mean, hey, I'm only 2 years out of college.:rockin:

-Josh

Imperial Walker said:
Bringing back an ancient thread for a second...

Blighty! If you recall (or read above) you and I both have this problem.

I just saw a commercial on TV, and they have medicine for it now. The brand I saw advertised was called "Requip".

Mine doesn't bother me enough that I want to take drugs for it, but I don't know how severe yours is.

-walker

PS: I suspect that my son has this, too. He always complains that his legs hurt when he lays down to sleep at night.

Mine seems to come and go. Not sure whether it might be linked to stress or not? Quinine is supposed to help (tonic water). Thanks for the heads up on the medicine..might have to see if it is available in the UK. Recently, I had a severe aching sensation in just my left leg...bizzare, and of course I couldn't sleep at all. :mad:

Shambolic said:
4 x 12oz. of vodka??

If it was beer, you need to get your tolerance up, man!! I prescribe home-brews, and lots of them. :drunk:

I was thinking the very same thing ... It takes like 6 or 7 x 12 oz bottles (5-6% ABV) to even get that slight tingle in the fingertips for me. Wasn't much of a bragging point back in school either since most of my friends were the same way, meaning it was just crazy expensive to get drunk off beer. Who knows, maybe it's the viking heritage or something as I grew up in Sweden ... Anyone with Nordic heritage that recognizes this elevated tolerance thing? :mug:

tnlandsailor said:
Ok, here's what you do. You open your eyes only to find that they actually hurt, and blinking them causes a noise reminiscent of a Slayer concert. As soon as you are able, throw off the covers (assuming you actually woke up in bed) and stagger (or crawl) to the kitchen and fill the biggest glass you have with tepid water. A quart would be best. Take a deep breath and chug the water without stopping until it's gone. Now, stand up straight and run in place at a full sprint for 1 minute. Once the vomiting ceases, you won't feel any better, in fact, you may be looking for the closest Seppuku sword to end your misery. The key here is to remember this horrible feeling, sear it into your memory and re-live the memory right before that first pint the following weekend. Best hangover preventative ever.

I agree. Just say the word Irish Carbomb and I feel like yukeing. I'll have to kill many more brain cells over the next couple of years before I will be able to forget that night of binge drinking. Don't ruin good beer with someone's crappy idea for a booze concotion.

Late in the game (sorry), but, I find that there's only one way to avoid a hangover, water and time. When I go out I drink a very healthy amounts and you can drink all the coffee you want and take as much ibuprofen as you want and you can still get a headache. I have Crohn's disease and so i have to pay attention to anything that is a diuretic. Alcohol and coffee are both diuretics so mixing them doesn't do anything but dry you out even more. Water and a little gatorade will rehydrate you and replace the extreme amounts of electrolites that you have lossed, anything else probably does more harm than good. Except sex, exercise and sweating are good for hangovers too...

I find the key is eating and/or drinking before bed but not too much so you don't have to get up to whiz.
Gatorade and vitamin B (or a multi vitamin the next morning). Then eat something bland like bread and butter, then work your way up to normal food. Finally, after one good dump I feel better and have turned the corner!

Taking ibuprofen on an empty stomach the next morning is a really bad idea. There is the liver thing, and then ibuprofen should be taken after food anyway.

Similar thing with paracetamol. I think aspirin is the way to go.

Shambolic said:
Taking ibuprofen on an empty stomach the next morning is a really bad idea. There is the liver thing, and then ibuprofen should be taken after food anyway.

Similar thing with paracetamol. I think aspirin is the way to go.

I agree. Ibuprofen is a bad idea. Enjoying some food, water, a good dump, and a nap (vary order based on hangover severity) the next day is about the best you can do.

And take those vitamins with some water before bed, f00s!

Imperial Walker said:
My wife just told me that I may have "Restless Leg Syndrome"! I've never heard of it, but this site sure does cover the symptoms I get, and alcohol apparently makes it wors.

I had no idea, but I totally have that too, and its not ADD or anything. When I go to sleep most of the time I can't help but feel like i have to run a 400 meter or something and its only in my legs.

Has anyone mentioned the dreaded "Paula Dean" thread yet? One of my fave cures used to be to drink a megaswill with some clamato or tomato juice in it. Good to go after that, but then it tatses so good I usually have another and I'm getting back into trouble...

This is a parallel thread...or maybe there are two threads, both in a different universe, and somehow they have become intermingled in space and time?

err...here's a radical idea

how about not drinking so much that it causes a hangover?

<shrugs>

i know i know i'm talking crazy now right

Even Crazier thought... Drink 8oz of water for every 24 of Beer, then 12oz before bed.. the perfect prevention..

The Hangover is caused by the alcohol dehydrating you especially your brain.. If you re-hydrate (gatorade works best as your last drink before bed/passing out) you will avoid hangovers.. Simple physiology.. Hangover= dehydrated cells.. cure = rehydrate them before the effects .. also 2 aspirin, a multi vitamin pill and 32oz of gatorade is one of the tastiest, as well as best hangover remedies out there.
:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :

No one else on this entire forum suffers from Crohns?
I find that to be a good thing, My Father died of Chron's, I wish that fate on no one, He lived Well for decades past the prognosis, he died well in his suffering.

well heck if you're going to go through all those morning after remidies...why not just get back on the horse..hair of the dog baby

I'm sure most of you have heard this, but apparently Tylenol with even very modest amounts of alcohol in your system is just murder on your liver.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Has anyone mentioned the dreaded "Paula Dean" thread yet? One of my fave cures used to be to drink a megaswill with some clamato or tomato juice in it.

Whay the hell would anyone want to drink tomato juice with clam juice in it? Holy crap how could you get any nastier?

AHammer16 said:
Whay the hell would anyone want to drink tomato juice with clam juice in it? Holy crap how could you get any nastier?

I know, it's so good though. Come over for a ceasar sometime, I bet I can change your mind. Can't be any worse than drinking stuff that comes out of animals, can it?

Nobody mentioned prescription drugs yet?

vicoden
oxycodone
oxycontin
codein
morphine
dilaudid
percodan
demeral
heroin
hydrocodone

any one of these in the morning will make you feel GREAT!

(it will also cure 'reckless leg syndrome' a.k.a. 'kicking the habit')

Latest posts

Back