Airlock problem finally solved

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg75

Reaction score
Anyone with any degree of experience with homebrewing is going to groan at this, but since I asked so many questions about it, I feel obligated to fill you in on recent developments.

As you may recall, I've made several posts recently about fermentation, and more specifically, why there was no activity in my airlock. I even made posts about how I couldn't understand how the airlock would effectively keep outside air from the fermenting beer. Well, I've figured it out... my three piece airlock only had two pieces! :cross: Just the cylindrical piece and the top cap. The loose cap that rests over the inner cylinder...well, I didn't know it existed until today.

I finally went to the LHBS (40 miles away, actually) to pick up a bottle tree, and some sanitizing solution. I went to ask the owner about why my airlock wasn't working, and more importantly, how it could possibly work. He showed me an airlock he had, and it was clear as day. He gave me a brand new airlock, plus a loose cap to put on my incomplete airlock.

His suggestion was that I immediately rack the beer into the secondary tonight, which I did (getting a siphon started is very hard, IMO) and put a complete airlock on it. He seemed concerned that the beer may be infected already, which to be honest, I'm not sure. I tasted what was left in the primary after racking, but it was very sludgy and mainly yeast, so it had a bitter taste. I had no way of gauging any off flavors, or what not. (BTW, what's the most effective way to remove samples from a carboy for hydrometer readings???)

So, for all those who thought I was a little silly for not getting how the airlock could possibly work, I hope this sheds a little light on it! And, BTW, I'm getting bubbles consistently every minute or two with the properly fitted airlock. :rockin:

Siphoning is very easy when you use the auto siphon...only costs about $12 from LHBS and is a life saver. I use a wine thief to take a sample from the carboy for the hydrometer reading. Hope this helps.

greg75 said:
what's the most effective way to remove samples from a carboy for hydrometer readings???

well, i loathe hydrometers, but i take samples for tasting. i just use a sanitized turkey baster. $1.99 at any grocery store.

I doubt that the beer got infected. As beer ferments, the co2 that is produced forms a blanket over the beer, protecting it from infection, so long as it is not disturbed. There are commercial breweries out there (Ommegang is one that I know for sure) that ferment their beer in open vats. Don't try that at home, tho......

Thanks for the reassurances about infection, ablbrau. The batch smells like normal beer to me. A little more bitter than I'd expect from a brown ale, perhaps, although I attribute that mainly to the presence of more yeast than would be in a completely conditionded brew.

The turkey baster is a great idea. It's the really simple ideas that completely allude me! :) As for the auto-siphon, I was so close to buying one today at LHBS ($9.99 only) but I figured I could do it on my own. That's the first thing I buy next time I'm up there!

ablrbrau said:
I doubt that the beer got infected. As beer ferments, the co2 that is produced forms a blanket over the beer, protecting it from infection, so long as it is not disturbed. There are commercial breweries out there (Ommegang is one that I know for sure) that ferment their beer in open vats. Don't try that at home, tho......

So bacteria and other crap don't/can't fall through the layer of CO2? I'm confused. And if the nasties fall on your krausen and then your krausen falls into the beer....?

Exo said:
So bacteria and other crap don't/can't fall through the layer of CO2? I'm confused. And if the nasties fall on your krausen and then your krausen falls into the beer....?

the point is that the co2 was flowing out of the fementer, spilling out the top of the airlock like a fluid and running down the side of the fermenter. since the gas was flowing OUT, it would have been hard for a tiny airborn nastie to go against that flow and get into the fermenter.

Back