Campden Tablets didn't dissolve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatdoyameanman

Reaction score
I added 2 campden tablets to my 2 gallons of cider along with potassium sorbate last week. I let the batch sit in the in the carboy for one week as i was told you should do before you can bottle the batch. How ever the crushed tablet pioeces never dissolved, only floated on top.

1) What didn't they dissolve fully? Should i wait longer than a week?

2) Will my batch be safe to drink if the undissolved pieces of campden tablets get into the bottles? Is campden safe to drink when not dissolved fully?

Campden tablets, AFAIK, are for conditioning water prior to use -- they fix Chlorine and Chloramine problems. One tablet is supposedly good for up to 20 gallons of water.

Can I ask why you're using so much?

Because the instructions on campden tablets say 1 per gallon to help prevent oxidisation?

The number of tablets sounds fine, you probably should have disoved them in a small amount of hot water first before adding to your brew.

I dont know the answer to your other questions but if it were me I would probably just make sure that the pieces don't get bottled. Safe or not, getting a crunchy bit of tablet in your drink will taste nasty! Try racking to another container leaving the bits behind and then back into bottles from there.

Campden tablets, AFAIK, are for conditioning water prior to use -- they fix Chlorine and Chloramine problems. One tablet is supposedly good for up to 20 gallons of water.

Can I ask why you're using so much?

They are also used as a stabilizer for vinters.

In future use, just crush the tablets prior to addition so that they will better go into solution. I like to use an old coffee grinder for this (when I cannot source a powdered variant) and just measure the powder out by equivalent weight.

What I use...

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/search/default.aspx?searchTerm=Mortar+&+Pestle

Mortar & Pestle.jpg

Thanks yeah I crushed them but will def fully dissolve in hot water next time before adding. Any one know the answer to the second question. If filter out the pieces it should be safe to drink correct?

Thinking I might filter by wrapping a cheese cloth or coffee filter around the bottom of the siphon ....

Latest posts

Back