Last Minute Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pombe

Reaction score
Guys,

Brewing Ed's Bavarian Hefe first thing tomorrow:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/

Picked up an ounce of Hallertau pellets, recipe calls for 0.75 @ 45 and 0.25 at 15 ideal range 10-13 IBU for the recipe. Got home from the LHBS and noticed the pellets I got are only 4% Alpha.

Haven't had time to consult my recipe formulator but, the calculations for my recipe were based on Hallertau whole hops 7.8% Alpha.

Now all is not lost, as I have some organic PNW Magnum at my disposal (3 oz.), homegrown by one of my clients. % Alpha is unknown but assume 15%.

Can anyone help with additions?

that would be killer (literally). i mean the whole 1 oz of hallertau at 60. that would make it 12 ibu or so, perfect for a hefe

Ha, read you loud and clear, I thought I was going crazy there for a sec. Any idea on a suitable addition of the Magnum?

the perfect addition to that magnum is an apa or ipa :D . i love hops. can't tell by my current inventory, but an 11 gallon imperial ipa is next. i'm craving hops

Fair enough, I'm a fan of my NW Pales and IPAs too! I'll save it for another day!

I'm playing with numbers here and .75 @ 45 (4%) and .25 @ 15 (4%) yield 6.3 IBU which does not seem like enough. Were I to add .2 of Magnum @ 45 (12%) with the first addition of Hallertau, my IBUs go up to 10.18.

Help? Do I need more than 6.3 for a traditional Bavarian Hefe? Will the Magnum ruin the recipe?

Latest posts

Back