Turkey Fryer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Just saw a 30qt turkey fryer listed on Craigslist in my area for a really good price and had two questions before I pull the trigger. Would a 30qt pot be enough for full all grain boils? I am thinking yes but wanted to get some input. Also has anyone used Brinkman brand turkey fryer? Any thought

Never mind. After looking at the Brinkman website it looks as though there is some sort of temperature sensor that shuts off the gas if it gets too hot. I am guessing getting a rolling boil for 60+ minutes will shut the thing off every time. But I guess if anyone has tried one I would still be willing to listen to advice/comments.

When you deep fry a turkey or anything for that matter generally you keep your oil at 350 plus. When your boiling your wort its going to be at around 212 degrees. I don't think that it would switch the sensor off, plus when you deep fry a turkey it takes longer than an hour so there shouldn't be timer issues.

I think your pot is fine it holds 7.5 gallons max I think the average 5 gallon batch starting boil amount is between 6 - 6.5 gallons so your cutting it close but you should be okay just watch for boil overs or else you'll have a big mess.

I have a 30 qt turkey fryer I use for AG. It works and was a cheap way to get in, but I very much want to upgrade the size. Most of my boils are right at the edge. I have found most pots hold slightly less than they say and most my boils are almost 7 gals. I am getting better at reducing boil overs, but I have to watch it very closely. It works but is annoying.

There is a thread on this site that tells you how to bypass the auto shut off. I have a turkey fryer and it was pretty simple to remove the offending piece. (can't remember now how, but as said, the thread is here somewhere) However, I eventually got tired of boil overs and bought a bigger pot. Thirty will work, but you will fight it a lot.

I have a 32 quart turkey fryer... It is possible to do All grain, but you really want to be able to boil 7 gallons comfortably. I would suggest at a minimum a 10 gallon pot. I use a 15 gallon behemoth.

If you decide to get it, buy some Fermcap the same day. Stuff works wonders in stopping boilovers.

Latest posts

Back