Are hop bags reusable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapinglords

Reaction score
If so, should they be washed between uses?

I'm looking at a recipe that uses specialty grains for steeping and hops, so I'm just wondering if I can use the same bag after each usage.

If so, should they be washed between uses?

I'm looking at a recipe that uses specialty grains for steeping and hops, so I'm just wondering if I can use the same bag after each usage.

a quick rinse should do fine between steeping and hopping, you just don't want any grains joining the party in the kettle.

The bag is now yellow-ish green even though it was rinsed pretty well in the sink. Is it fine, or should it be thrown in the washing machine/dryer? I'm just wondering if it may impart the old hop flavors into future batches.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.. mine is actually really dark colored. I never really "wash" it, just rinse it out after every use.

you can always chuck it in with the next batch of PBW or Oxyclean you make to clean your equipment, it will come nice and clean.

Been using the same bags for years, although they mostly get used for dry hopping now.

I've got 5 hop bags I've never done anything with other than a rinse - dry hops go loose in my fermenters.
So, yeah, my bags are dark yellow-green. over 5 years, now...

Back