1 freezer, want to make more than 1 lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
So I have a chest freezer and a johnson digital controller. I have had it for a while and have made an oktoberfest and now just put a maibock in there. My questions is since the temperature needs to be so specific for the lager yeast and lagering how can I use my one check frezzer to make more than 1 lager at a time? The freezer is large enough to hold at least 2 carboys

Well, you can ferment at abut 46-52 degrees, and then secondary at those temps as well, so you could make them a week or two apart, and then set the freezer to lagering temps when it's time to lager them.

What is the temperature on the floor of your basement? I always ferment my lagers that way-in wintertime, anyway. You don't need it really cold until you get to the actual lagering stage. So if you ferment on your floor at 48-55 degrees and then lager at 35-40 in your freezer you should be golden.

Back