Ascorbic Acid / Vit C good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accroul

Reaction score
My first 'cider' was made from boxed juice (label indicated that it was from pressed apples & had Ascorbic acid added) cost of juice was NZ$17. Was not flash cider, but that may be over-eagerness & noobie naievety. Today I juiced my own apples (cost NZ$30 just for the apples) to make 1G. I hope this one works - because I'm going to be drinking gold!
Is Ascorbic Acid actually ok, or am I going to be making really rank cider by using juice with ascorbic in it? I'm asking because NZ$17( with ascorbic) is a sight cheaper than NZ$30(with no ascorbic)!

Ascorbic acid is fine. It is used as a natural preservative/additive but does not hinder fermentation. Let your newbie mind be eased.

Ascorbic acid (or some acid blend) is often called for mead recipes, to help bring the acidity of the must up to make the yeasties happier, and to reduce danger of oxidization (i think).

I believe that apples are naturally relatively high in vitamin c / ascorbic acid, though I may be remembering my health class wrong.

The amount of ascorbic acid added to apple juice by commercial producers is negligible. I've used juice with ascorbic acid added with no problems whatsoever. Regards, GF.

Ok, thankyou everyone! Next time I buy juice, I'll buy the boxed stuff.
I wonder if the pectic enzyme will work on pasturised stuff? I guess I could buy a box to find out!

Latest posts

Back