Vanilla Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
I'm going to brew an Oatmeal Stout and I'm going to go the vanilla bean route. I've been reading tons of posts about when to add the bean and whether to soak it in vodka/bourbon before using it. Many of the posts suggested adding to the secondary.

However I've taken your suggestions on not using a secondary and I just primary for a month and then go to the keg.

Should I add it to the keg sort of like a dry hop? Or should I add the bean(s) to the boil or to the primary?

I'm planning on slicing the bean and scraping it as many have suggested.

Thanks!

Tim

For anything you want to add as a secondary it is still perfectly fine to transfer to a secondary vessel not using one in beers where you don't need that is what most of the advice claims. I personally wouldn't put the beans in a keg, but would use a carboy or other container for it, but either way won't hurt. I wouldn't put it in the boil as it is likely to drive off some of the flavor oils and compounds.

I am doing an oatmeal stout for my very first solo brew. I tossed a bean in the boil and kept it in the primary and haven't noticed any flavour in my hydro samples.
I have a couple more soaking in vodka and I plan on doing a secondary with them, vodka and all. Thought about just adding the booze while bottling but I wasn't sure how much complex vanilla would come out that way.

I've added vanilla beans to the fermenter, after the primary has settled down (about 7-10 days in). You can leave your beer on the yeast cake for up to a month to allow the vanilla to settle in.

I would not suggest using anymore than 3 whole beans, maximum! I made a spiced vanilla porter once with 3 beans, cinnamon, and nutmeg before. It took about a year until it was tasty. The more you throw in, the longer it takes for the flavors to blend together.

Back