advice for carboy cap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
dropped my rubber stopper in my carboy yesterday during brew day. today fermentation seems to be fine with stopper floating in it. i have sanitized tin foil covering the top of the carboy. today im going to my LHBS to get a carboy cap. should I apply that asap with a blow off tube or let the fermentation ride out with the sanitized tin foil?

It is really just preference at this point in fermentation. As long as your beer is actively fermenting and putting off gas, then the foil is more than adequate. I Would consider switching to a carboy cap with an air lock once fermentation is winding down!

It is really just preference at this point in fermentation. As long as your beer is actively fermenting and putting off gas, then the foil is more than adequate. I Would consider switching to a carboy cap with an air lock once fermentation is winding down!

Yep, foil will work just fine. Like Germelli wrote, replace the airlock after primary fermentation slows. Fruit flies may be a concern. If there are some that could potentially access your beer, replace the foil with an air lock immediately.

Latest posts

Back