Side by side freezer/fridge for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freakshow10mm

Reaction score
A coworker's girlfriend is giving away a fridge/freezer combo. It's the side by side type with the water and ice maker in the door. If it will work for a kegerator, I'm thinking about getting it.

I'm not sure but I think there are two different temp control units for each side. I was thinking of putting two taps in the water/ice dispensing cubbyhole. It's already got a drip tray for them.

Yeah, just trying to make a clean dispenser. I don't think there will be enough clearance. I'll see if I can get it and then work around what I've got. Only thing holding me up is I don't have a truck or trailer. Neither do they.:(

Yeah, just trying to make a clean dispenser. I don't think there will be enough clearance. I'll see if I can get it and then work around what I've got. Only thing holding me up is I don't have a truck or trailer. Neither do they.:(

You could probably rent a trailer or truck pretty cheap. I have seen 19.95 advertised at Lowes for a truck. Just make sure to transport it standing up.

I've seen some people use the freezer side for kegs and the fridge side for fermenting by using a temp controller. On the one I have, I ripped out the wall that separates the fridge and freezer side so that it is just one big fridge chamber.

I've seen some people use the freezer side for kegs and the fridge side for fermenting by using a temp controller. On the one I have, I ripped out the wall that separates the fridge and freezer side so that it is just one big fridge chamber.

Any pics of how you did this? sounds like a good idea and i currently dont use the freezer side of my side by side for anything

Oooh.. yeah. I have an ancient fridge that was left in my basement when I bought the house.. and I'm going to use it for my kegerator. It is a side by side with 2 freezer compartments on the left?!? I'd love to rip out the middle, as the freezer doesn't really work. Pics would be great!!!

Any pics of how you did this? sounds like a good idea and i currently dont use the freezer side of my side by side for anything

I just started taking screws out, basically. I don't really have any "before" or "in progress" pics, but this is how it ended up

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

The rust spots at the bottom of the second pic are where the wall used to be.

Back