Tis the season! Holiday Ale Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I know these recipes have been discusses and debated on the forums over and over, but I figured now would be good time to start thinking about a big special/spiced ale for the holidays. There will plenty of time if we start thinking about it now.

I am just starting this thread so we can come up with some new/interesting ideas for holiday ale this season, and have plenty of time for them to age and be drinkable come novembertime.

I know pumkin ale is huge...not a fan

I was thinking a dark amber ale with some ginger, cinnamon and clove character, and just a touch of roasted barley. I would use pacman or nottingham and ferment low and slow, and bulk age it for a few months cool, prior to bottling.

I don't have brewing software at my disposal right now, but here is what I am thinking..something like this for a base 6 gallon batch

13 pound two row
1/2 pound crystal 40
1/2 pound crystal 80
2 oz roasted barley
2 oz chocolate malt
a nice hunk of ginger added to boil, roughly chopped, at 10 minutes
a few cinnamon sticks at 10 minutes
a few whole cloves at 10 minutes
2 oz willamete for bittering
no aroma hops

This is pretty standard, what should a guy do to jazz this thing up? Maybe some honey in the secondary, how about roasted and chopped apples in the mash? Not sure what that would do.......

For the record, I made a super complicated holiday ale last year, with two months for aging.....this thing had apples, honey, ginger, apple juice, cinn,etc..etc..etc... it is just NOW mellowed out and tasting great.

throw in a lil brown sugar and oats and you kinda have an apple crisp there

Back