Fruit mead/melomels etc etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbloke

Reaction score
As summer kicks in, there seem to be a number of soft summer fruit in season now.

So I was wondering if theres any set ratio of fruit to water to obtain the correct (?) level of "fruit juice" for melomel/fruit mead making ?????

Having looked around, it would appear that the recipes I've managed to find use between 1.5 and 2 kg per 4.5 litres (that'd be about 3 to 4 lb per gallon - I don't think it'd make any difference whether it's UK/Imperial gallons/lb's or US gallons/lb's as I believe that the ratio would work out the same despite the US measurements being smaller than the UK/Imperial equivalents i.e. 4.55 litres = 1 UK/Imperial gallon).

I suspect that a wine/mead made using metric measurements might be a little sweeter, because of the differences i.e. 1 Kg = 2.2lb's UK/Imperial so in a basic mead I'd actually use a little more honey etc etc.

It's just that I wondered if there was a "tried and tested" ratio to work to, or does it depend on the fruit ???

does anyone know please ??

regards

fatbloke

Back