Critique my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConnorPPrice

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I ordered the ingredients for my first original recipe the other night and everything should be here Monday. I'm wondering if maybe I want to tweak the hop schedule a little bit so I figured I'd run it by everyone here.

9.5# Pale LME
.5# Crystal Malt 40L
.5# CaraPils/Dextrine

1oz Chinook 60 min (11.8%AA)
1oz Centenial 30 min (9.9%AA)
1oz Cascade 15 min (6.2%AA)
.5oz Amarillo flameout (9.2%AA)
.5oz Cascade flameout (6.2%AA)

1.5oz Amarillo dry hop 7 days (9.2%AA)
.5oz Cascade dry hop 7 days (6.2%AA)

Yeast - US-05

Est. OG - 1.063
IBUs - 40.9
Color - 10.7 SRM
Est. ABV - 6.3%

So as you can see this is on the very low end of bitterness for an IPA, bordering APA territory. I'm hoping for something very drinkable that wont demolish your palate right away. I imagine I'll make this a few times, tweaking it each time to finally arrive at what I'd like to have be a mainstay in my kegerator.

What does everyone think about the hop schedule? I'm thinking about moving the Cascade/Amarillo additions around a bit but I just don't have enough experience to make a decision.

Since I've already purchased everything I probably wont be making significant changes this time around other than tweaking the hop schedule but using the hops I've already bought. However I'm open to any suggestions at all as I plan on brewing this one quite a few times to get it dialed in.

Running it through tastybrew it came to 92 IBU's. Personally I would move the 30 min to 20 and the 15 min to 10. Then up each of the flameout additions to 1 oz. Sounds tasty.

I wonder if I did something wrong in beersmith. A change of 50 IBUs seems like quite a lot, to much to just be different alpha acid ratings I'd guess. I went ahead and added in the alpha acid numbers I was using to arrive at 40.9 IBU in beersmith to the OP.

What is your batch size/boil size? Are you adding your LME right at the start of the boil?

What is your batch size/boil size? Are you adding your LME right at the start of the boil?

5 gallon batch, 3 gallon boil. I had planned on adding most of the LME towards the end of the boil. I've never worked with LME before, only DME but I wanted to give it a try. So that will be new to me.

Hmm, maybe someone else can run the recipe to double check, but tastybrew has given me pretty accurate results in the past.

I ran them in beer calculus and it's giving me 40 IBU's based on the 5 gallon batch/ 3 gallon boil.

Hm, you're right. I plugged it into beersmith at home and it came to around 50. Either way, I might consider moving the late additions back a bit. Losing 5 or so ibu's won't be noticeable, but really piling up the hops at the end will be.

Latest posts

Back