Filling first keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevineBrew

Reaction score
I'm filling my first Corny as we with speak with a IPA. Anything words of advice? Do all the seals need to be lubed or any advice on pressure and storage. Keeping it in the kegerator while C02 priming or room temp?

There's lots of info in the kegging sticky. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sticky-kegging-faqs-43347/

The short answer is replace any worn o-rings, all of them if the keg held soda or something other than beer. Lube the o-rings.

If you are carbing with CO2, do it cold. The easiest method is to set it to 10-12 psi (or whatever you are looking for for style and temperature), and give it 2-3 weeks to carb and condition.

Welcome to the kegging adventure.

You should read the Sticky Threads above about kegging and then if something isn't clear, ask and it shall be answered by someone.

Yah, I have read a lot of the threads and seen a lot of different charts. The kegs I purchased from cornykeg.com. They are completely rebuilt new rings and seals. Just wasn't sure if there are any pref to all methods. Thinking about just 12 psi and leaving for a couple of weeks with the line hooked up. Would I still need to shake or rock the keg with the set and forget method. Also wasn't sure even though they are new seals if they need lubrication for a proper seal?

Yah, I have read a lot of the threads and seen a lot of different charts. The kegs I purchased from cornykeg.com. They are completely rebuilt new rings and seals. Just wasn't sure if there are any pref to all methods. Thinking about just 12 psi and leaving for a couple of weeks with the line hooked up. Would I still need to shake or rock the keg with the set and forget method. Also wasn't sure even though they are new seals if they need lubrication for a proper seal?

Set and forget is just that. No rocking required. If the keg seals without the lube that's great, but I would lube the o-rings anyway.

I saw on the force carb chart that if my keg is cold 38 degrees, I should set the psi to 2.38? Now is that 2.38 for 2-3 weeks or 12 psi for 2-3 weeks and then back down to 2.38?

2.38 is volumes of co2 not psi... that should be around 12 psi dependent on temperature... just set 12 psi and leave it for a week or so...

rosier9 said:
2.38 is volumes of co2 not psi... that should be around 12 psi dependent on temperature... just set 12 psi and leave it for a week or so...

Thanks wasn't too sure. :mug:

I always just put around 10 psi CO2 on a keg and forget about it. I dispense my beers at 10 psi and adjust the pressure depending on how it pours.....usually plus or minus 1 psi.:)

Eric

Back