Use Cold Water To Get Temp Down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crbrown25

Reaction score
I generally do a 3.5 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch due to the size of my boiling pot. I know the goal is to get temp down to pitching temp as quickly as possible after the boil. Is there any reason not to add my cold top-off water as a means to accomplish that? I've been using an ice bath & waiting until wort is to temp (under 80 deg)before adding the 1.5 gallons of top off. Is adding chilled water before the ice bath a good way to speed up the process? Then aerate & pitch as usual?

I saw a video somewhere that said you generally only want to add water to cool down your wort to pitching temps when it gets down to about 110 degree F or so. Not sure if this is true. I too put my pot in an ice bath until it cools to about 80 degrees, but next time I'd like to try this method as it seems like it will knock off some serious time.

Yeah, there is no way in hell you are going to get it to 110 by adding top off water to 210 wort.

BendBrewer said:
Yeah, there is no way in hell you are going to get it to 110 by adding top off water to 210 wort.

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but what I said, or at least tried to say, is I saw on a video it's best to wait until your wort cools down to 110 (whatever your cooling process is) and then add tap water. For some reason, and I don't remember why, it's not preferred to pour cold water into the hot wort.

The worry from certain camps is that pouring cold water into your hot wort will result in hot side aeration. Others say that's a myth. Either way, it's certainly a good idea to chill your top off water and let it do some of the cooling for you. That being said, I have found that it only knocks off about 5-10 minutes of ice bath time.

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but what I said, or at least tried to say, is I saw on a video it's best to wait until your wort cools down to 110 (whatever your cooling process is) and then add tap water. For some reason, and I don't remember why, it's not preferred to pour cold water into the hot wort.

Ah....I thought you were warning against getting the temp below 110 by adding the top water. Never going to happen.

My bad. :mug:

Some ppl boil top off water to sanitize it and then freeze it in sanitized containers. It just makes a nice ice block that drops temps FAST.

I stopped using cold top off water cause it never got the temp below 78F. Other times,higher. So I started doing the BK in a sink of ice water bit. I put a floating thermometer in the covered pot. I keep cooling it till it gets down to 70F. Then pour in fermenter & top off,& stir like mad.

Well,folks think they're saving chilling time by taking the BK out of the ice bath when still kind of hot,then count on the cold water to get it down to pitch temp. I got tired of that hit or miss concept. That's why I started using the ice bath method to get it all the way down to pitch temp. Since,when you think about it,you're still using the time you think you're saving counting on the cold water you're topping off with to get down to temp.
Imo,anyway. It's just easier to leave it in the ice bath,since it's already in there anyway. As with other things brewing,patience is a virtue.:mug:

Latest posts

Back