So now that I have bottle bombs, what's the next step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMBB

Reaction score
Should I put all the cider back in a carboy and use campden/sodium metabisulfite to prevent further fermentation? The cider was supposed to be still and sweet. I am worried about oxidization from pouring them into the carboy. I do have a few 1gal and 1/2gal jugs I could put it in.

Should I put all the cider back in a carboy and use campden/sodium metabisulfite to prevent further fermentation? The cider was supposed to be still and sweet. I am worried about oxidization from pouring them into the carboy. I do have a few 1gal and 1/2gal jugs I could put it in.

Well, campden doesn't stop fermentation. So, that could be why you've got bottle bombs unfortunately.

Pouring the cider into a carboy might risk some oxidation, but it's better than bottle bombs.

dissolve the campden into 1/4 cup boiling water for each carboy/jug (one campden tablet per gallon) and that will help minimize oxidation. Campden doesn't stop fermentation, but winemakers use it as an antioxidant, so that should help alot. Then add the cider to the carboys/jugs as gently as you can- racking would be great but gently pouring might not be too bad since it's still fermenting.

Latest posts

Back