Jack Daniels Green & Black label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Focus

Reaction score
So, what's the difference between these two versions of JD? They're both 80 proof, they're both decent whiskys, and there's nothing on the label to distinguish between the two.

Anybody know the story?

Yes. The green is aged less. It's a cheaper whiskey... though the cost is usually comparable. As far as I can tell, the only reason for drinking the green is to get a feel for how whiskey ages over time.

Incidentally, I've had the Jack Daniels line and I have to say that Gentleman Jack is well worth the extra couple dollars. It's truly a damn fine whiskey.. though my personal favorite is Jefferson Reserve.

We're just talking American Whiskey though.

If you ever tour Jack Danels In linchburg TN you will find the way they age there barrels quite cool. they have a vey tall ageing building that is neither heated or cooled a batch say 100 BBLS are aged in this building and they are stacked very high. the barrels on the top say 5 rows are the best because of they have the most temp fluxuation the barrels on the bottom say 5 rows are green lable they have the least temp fluxuation eveything else is black label. Green label is actually my favorite besides of course the barrel select.
JJ

The only difference in Gentleman Jack is that its regular Number 7 put through charcoal..thats it. Makes for a slightly smoother whiskey. Now JD Single Barrel is where its at

gonzoflick said:
The only difference in Gentleman Jack is that its regular Number 7 put through charcoal..thats it. Makes for a slightly smoother whiskey. Now JD Single Barrel is where its at

Sounds like you could get a bottle of regular Jack and run it through a Brita pitcher if you wanted to be cheap about it. I've read of people doing that with cheap vodka to make it taste better, but it only takes a few passes through with liquor to expire the filter.

gonzoflick said:

Single Barrel is overrated. It's just American Whiskey. It's not like it's a premium product. You wouldn't catch me paying those prices for the single barrel Jack Daniels. LOL.

If we were talking Scotch, or Whisky, then maybe you'd have a point. But even single barrel jack daniels is still... well.. jack daniels. It's be worth a good $28 for a fifth, but at twice the price there are WAY better scotches and whiskys out there. Heck, there are even a LOT better whiskEys out there in that price range.

Overrated. Overpriced.

The Gentleman Jack is dramatically smoother than the regular number 7. It's worth the extra couple dollars. But pay about twice as much for a fancy Jack Daniels? No way. Bring me a single barrel scotch...

its true... through marketing JD has made themselves out to be a top shelf American whiskey...when in all actuality I can make a better product myself if I really tried.

Sir Humpsalot said:
It's just American Whiskey.

I sincerely hope that this is not a blanket slap in the face at all American whiskey. You know, people used to say that about American beer once upon a time.

For what it costs I won't touch JD, I'm just not a fan. It's the slightly cherry aftertaste that I hate about it. I prefer George Dickel No.12 if I'm sipping whisky. It's damn near as good as MM, at least for my palette, and half the price. Of course I'd rather be sipping on Jameson's, but with the exchange rate and recent tariff increases for Irish goods (well, recent being in the last 5 years...) I don't buy it anymore unless I get a good bonus in the paycheck.:mug:

Black Label is now 80 proof. Used to be years ago 90. My Dad told me that. Didn't believe him until I found an ad in an old Playboy from 1984. Pic of the bottle shows it was 90 back in the day.

Allan

gonzoflick said:

Close, but not quite correct. All Jack is filtered through the charcoal- Gentleman is done a second time.

I agree that Single Barrel is the best, though.

ma2brew said:
I prefer George Dickel No.12 if I'm sipping whisky. It's damn near as good as MM, at least for my palette, and half the price.

I like George Dickel No. 12 better than Maker's Mark, personally. To my mind it's better than anything JD puts out, and cheaper than Gentleman Jack or the Single Barrel. For bourbon in that range, the Evan Williams Single Barrel is hard to top. YMMV, of course.

elkdog said:
I like George Dickel No. 12 better than Maker's Mark, personally. To my mind it's better than anything JD puts out, and cheaper than Gentleman Jack or the Single Barrel. For bourbon in that range, the Evan Williams Single Barrel is hard to top. YMMV, of course.
I'm glad to hear you say that. I usually get attacked by the MM zealots for comparing anything, let alone saying something less expensive tastes better.:mug:

You're never gonna go wrong with Knob Creek. Every time I have it I can't believe how tasty it is. It was cheaper in CA, where I lived until June, so I used to buy it a lot, for 19-22 bucks. Here it's more like 28.
Give Dickel No. 12 a try sometime if you haven't had it. It's a nice change of pace, if nothing else. The No. 8 is fine, too, just not as "finished."

My all time favorite is Alberta Springs Old Time Canadian sipping Whiskey made from 100% Rye. I tasted it first time on an island in Algonquin Provincial Park on a canoe trip when came across another campfire on the other side of the island. The friendly locals asked if I would like a swig of Rye. Cool, (I had no idea what rye was being only 17 years old at the time). Very nice stuff. I wish I could it here in Texas.

alberta.jpg

+1 for Scotch, particularly the Glenlivet. While we're across the pond, though, I love some Irish Whiskey. Redbreast and Powers are my favs.

EdWort said:
... an island in Algonquin Provincial Park on a canoe trip ...

I did a trip there in 1985. It still goes down as simply the best canoe camping trip ever, even tho no one offered my any rye :( . I wish I could get a group together to head up there again. I still have (barely -- its pretty worn) my tee shirt from that trip but now it has made its way to the "Dont Touch" shelf -- along side my Bobby Orr autographed tee.

BTW, for bourbons blantons takes the cake, followed by knob creek then basil hayden, and a tie with makers mark and bookers. When smoking my stogies its B&B all the way.

Back