1st lager, help with lagering process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
My first lager primary fermentation and diacytel rest is winding down. I am now going to transfer the finished (and diacytel free) beer off of the yeast. I am wondering if I can simply transfer to a corny keg, purge the O2, and lager this beer under some pressure in the corny keg and then simply put the brew on tap in the same keg it was lagered in? That would sure be awesome......

Yep, you sure can! I haven't read anything that implied a change character for lagering under pressure vs not. I'm doing the same thing right now and I just purge the keg, hit it with enough pressure to seal, then let it sit. I'll probably lager for 6 weeks, so I'll just wait and for the last 3 weeks I'll turn it up to serving pressure so it's ready to go when it's done.

Yes, you can lager in a keg under co2 so that when you're done lagering it's carbed up also! The hardest part for me is leaving it alone and resisting the urge to have "just a taste" before I should. The last one I did, the keg was about 1/2 empty before I called it "finished lagering". :drunk:

What temp are you planning on doing your diacetyl rest at? I've heard anywhere from 60-65º.
Doing my first lager next week so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row.

As they said you can do it but be careful. I say becareful because mine started to leak into my glass every time I went by the Keezer. It lagered about a 3 weeks before I started "tasteing" 3-4 glasses a day. It improved over time and I wish I had let it go a bit longer.

I did my D rest at 60 degrees, my sample had no diacytel so I consider the beer ready for lagering.

I have a feeling I will be drinking the beer well before I should. I would like to save it for the super bowl...good luck with that huh?!

I've got a bock lagering exactly this way. It's been in the kegerator for almost 3 weeks now, but only last night was I able to free up a gas line to start carbing it.

I've not hooked up the beer line to the keg yet, for fear of leaks like Gunrunner describes. ;)

Well, I am 3 days into the lagering process (after four week primary fermentation) and I haven't tasted it yet. The OG is fairly low and the beer was nice and clear upon racking, I think I will only lager for 3-4 weeks and then start drinking this one.

I lagered an Octoberfest for three months that way, hooked up the co2, force carbed over a week, threw out the first glass which had just a bit of yeast in it, then it was ready to go. The best way to lager a beer is to continue brewing other beers and forget about that one.

Back