Cleaning 4 Corny Kegs at once : are the posts universal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flomaster

Reaction score
so I thought I read some there that the CO2 post and Bev Out Post were slightly different. I tried searching and couldn't find a thread so I figured I'd start a new one. The one I am looking for will probably be in the "similar threads" at the bottom after I post this thread.

EDIT: HERE IS THE POST IN QUESTION THAT LEAD ME TO START THIS THREAD

ok so anyways I got 4 used Cornies from a beverage Company and I took them all apart for a cleaning, well now I am wondering if it makes a difference which post goes where on the keg. I know some kegs have different sized male threads so you can't mix them up, but my kegs have the same size posts. I don't want to end up with a gas leak because I put the wrong post on the wrong spot.

does anyone follow what I am saying or have I confused you?

I have all new orings from McMaster Carr and figured I'd clean all at once and just get it over with.

-=jason=-

Gas and beer posts are different.

Additionally, if you have different style kegs (e.g., Cornelius, Firestone, etc.) the posts are not interchangeable.

Oh, yes. They are different. The gas "in" posts have little notches at the base.

I have 7 kegs, and all but two are different even on the "out" side. They don't fit each other at all. I have to clean and take apart one at a time.

Any idea what brands of kegs you have? If you tell us, I can pull the pics of which posts should go with which style. The other option is you can go to a site like kegconnection.com, Northern Brewer or Williams Brewing and look at the replacement posts that they offer. They list them by the keg style they go to, and either gas or beer. That will give you a good reference for getting your posts onto the right kegs.

The best way I have found to keep from mixing up parts, is to take them off and toss them inside the keg. A hot soak with a 1/4 cup PBW and everything gets cleaned toghether. Sure the liquid tube is a bit long but that is what racking cane brushes are made for.

No matter what, I know that the parts inside the keg belong to THAT keg. And when you have amassed a collection of kegs knowing which belongs to which can become very important on a bulk cleaning day.

GilaMinumBeer, great idea for keeping the posts to the keg they belong to. I have only taken apart one of my 4 kegs, but was planning on just tossing everything into a solution for cleaning. I'll think twice now and do it as Gila says.

however I think I can get away with putting all drip tubes into a longer tub to make sure they get a good cleaning.

Hopefully other Noobs can learn some thing from my thread.

kegs are a mix of Cornelius and Firestone.

I need to get some extra cash together and buy another dozen kegs.

-=jason=-

GilaMinumBeer, great idea for keeping the posts to the keg they belong to. I have only taken apart one of my 4 kegs, but was planning on just tossing everything into a solution for cleaning. I'll think twice now and do it as Gila says.

however I think I can get away with putting all drip tubes into a longer tub to make sure they get a good cleaning.

Hopefully other Noobs can learn some thing from my thread.

-=jason=-

Yep. No point making a second batch of cleaning solution for soak when the keg is already full. A toothbrush and some love will ensure any soils get loosened up after the soak. Regarding the dip tube, well, many of my liquid out tubes are curved and fit down in the keg just fine below the water line but there are some with straight tubes and, maybe, an inch of that tube is left out of the solution. Hence the racking cane brush. Besides, IMO, the brush is the ONLY way to ensure there isn't any yeast, hop, or beerstone build up inside the tube.

Getting the posts on the correct keg is not too bad of a chore. Now figuring out the post poppets could be another story.

True, True, but many of the availbel poppets these days are universal in nature. Of the mix of 20 kegs I have I only have 3 or 4 that have a specific poppet. As for the others, while the "look" of the poppet may be different as long as the poppet head seals and the feet of the poppet can grab the inside lip of the post, it will seal.

so I thought I read some there that the CO2 post and Bev Out Post were slightly different. I tried searching and couldn't find a thread so I figured I'd start a new one. The one I am looking for will probably be in the "similar threads" at the bottom after I post this thread.

EDIT: HERE IS THE POST IN QUESTION THAT LEAD ME TO START THIS THREAD

ok so anyways I got 4 used Cornies from a beverage Company and I took them all apart for a cleaning, well now I am wondering if it makes a difference which post goes where on the keg. I know some kegs have different sized male threads so you can't mix them up, but my kegs have the same size posts. I don't want to end up with a gas leak because I put the wrong post on the wrong spot.

does anyone follow what I am saying or have I confused you?

I have all new orings from McMaster Carr and figured I'd clean all at once and just get it over with.

-=jason=-

They may look very similar, but if you have multiple kegs I am willing to bet you have multiple parts. This is a great FAQ and reference:

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

they say a photo is worth a thousand words.

kegpost.jpg

I do now see all the Gas Posts do have a notch of some sort.

I am glad I didn't tear them all apart and just lump everything together because I know I have at lest two different ball lock kegs.

I need to sell another lot of 50 kegs

IMG_20101212_103637.jpg

anyone interested ?

-=Jason=-

How much are you selling them for (each)?? Considering I can get used ones from the LHBS for about $33-$35 each. Another place, that cleans and pressure tests them (also local) is about the same price range... Plus the second person includes a set of brand new O-rings.

Back