Starter All-Grain Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anybody have any recommendations for a good starter set of All-Grain equipment? I don't have the space, tools or desire to build my own so I'm looking at off the shelf commercial sets. I've read that you need a 10 gallon system if you're looking to make high gravity 5 gallon batches (which I am)

I had my eye on this set: http://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallo...ash-Tun-With-False-Bottom-AND-HLT_p_1313.html

Thoughts?

Your right. You'll need a 10g to so High Grav batches. But $200 for two coolers is insane IMHO. I and many here have built 10g MLTs for about $50.

But it the end it's your prerogative. Do what's best for you

I just did my first AG batch and created my own mash tun. I thought it was going to be hard, but it turned out to be really easy and I saved at least $40 making my own. There are a lot of videos online that will show you how to do it, but this is the one I used:

Last edited by a moderator:
I even called my LHBS asking them about how much a mash tun would cost and which one they recommended; the guy recommended that I just make my own.

Latest posts

Back