McBrewer! Using a White Labs yeast container to repair/replace a 3 piece airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
I know EXACTLY where my airlock's third piece is. It sat in the kitchen for 3 weeks. Then I tossed it, thinking it was random packing material or garbage. Fast forward to me finally getting my 3rd carboy filled and realizing my 3 piece airlock was missing a piece.

Parts:
White labs yeast packet (empty this first)

Tools:
Saw
Drill
File

Cut off 1.5-2" of tube. Drill some air holes. It fits PERFECTLY.

img_0247.jpg

I did the same thing when i bought my startup kit, i sanitized everything in my sink and the piece went down my garbage disposal.

I did a simular saloution with a salt shaker. i have since bought more airlocks but i saved that one for memories.

Again my hats off to you, bravo!!!:mug::tank::ban::rockin::drunk:

Only downside is now you cant redeem that vial for a hoodie!

What? I have like 20 of those in a box somewhere. What are the details of this you speak of?

OP: that's a great fix, and since most people have these things already, it should be a handy one when needed. Prost!

TiberIwantmyhoodieBrew

You don't need to send them the entire vial, just the label.

I use my vials to store things like Irish Moss and CaSO4....

good idea, surprised that no airlock haters haven't chimed in and scolded you.

Last time I was at the LHBS I invested in a few airlocks just for having around.

I have a few vials at home, unfortunately, I already took the labels off, as I was intending on using them to store... yeast!

I will probably start saving them back up. Did anyone see where you could look at the items you can get? I might want to see them before deciding on any particular one.

Back