A bit of random

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
Worcestershire Sauce
Worcestershire sauce makes everything taste better, right? I mean, what is that stuff not good on? It's like slightly spicy, liquid brown crack or something. Seriously, what is that stuff? You know what, I don't even care. Whatever it is, it's good. So that's why I'm thinking about trying to incorporate it into a dessert. Now hold on, don't discount the idea just yet. Sure, it's usually reserved for meats and savory dishes, but it's not so different from balsamic vinegar. Heck, I like it more than balsamic vinegar. And people put that stuff on strawberries and the like, right? So I'm thinking something with fresh fruit, maybe a little vanilla ice cream... I'm not sure what else. But it's got promise.

Absinthe
Well, it's about that time of year again when a man gets to thinking about putting some wormwood seeds in the ground. Yep, and maybe some yarrow and mugwort too. But we won't concern ourselves with those two at this time. Wormwood is the subject of this rambling. So yeah, it's terribly bitter, and probably 10 kinds of nasty, but it's also kind of interesting. A buddy and I are going to grow some, wait for it to get all nice and flowery, then cut some of it off and toss it into some 151 proof rum. We'll probably pop some anise and a few other things in there as well. With a little time, we'll be rewarded with a beautiful clear green elixir known to antiquity as being an inspiration to great minds of the time. Nevermind that it tastes like shyte... Anyway, the ritual observed before imbibing may be just as cool as the drink itself. It involves a slotted spoon, fire and melting and color and opacity changes and neat things like that. Anyway, it should be a fun adventure.

Oh, we were also contemplating shooting it on an LC/MS/MS to compare its thujone content to a known absinthe, in order that we didn;t overdo the wormwood and do ourselves harm!

Speaking of liquors!
I'm currently enjoying a most delightful rum, pyrat reserve something or other. It comes in a little squat bottle with a cork stopper and it really is good stuff. Lightly sweet and fruity, with tropical notes dominating a rich full body that leads to a smooth finish. You should try some!

Maintenance update!
I changed the oil and differential fluid on my car today. I'll be installing a high-flow cat on Monday. If you don't already, you should really look into changing your own fluids and performing basic maintenance to your vehicles yourself. Not only will you save a scat-ton of money, youll also know it's been done properly, and it's not hard at all (depending on the vehicle).

Hiking tomorrow
I'm heading over to pilot mountain for a bit of hiking tomorrow. It looks like a big rock head sticking out of the ground with tree hair on top. But it's BIG. Because it's like, a mountain.

Closing comments
I'm sure you enjoyed this update! I'm happily providing it at no charge. Stay tuned for another sometime. For now, I'll leave you with a video I found particularly humorous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once tried reducing worcestershire sauce as one would reduce balsamic vinegar; though whereas balsamic vinegar is delicious after doing so, the worcestershire sauce is not.

Also, woe on he who "flames" a sugar cube for his absinthe. God bless the Czechs, but they do not know how to serve proper absinthe. Ice water and sugar is enough. And no green fairy. Bummer.

Lastly, I once tried some $150.00 a bottle rum at a party held on a sizable yacht. It came in a tall, slim bottle and was affixed with some certificate saying how this stuff was unbelievably amazing because it was made in copper pot stills and blah blah blah. It tasted like crap.

That is all.

I'm with you on the car maintenance and I really feel like I need to go buy a bottle of Worcestershire sauce now. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Man, how tiny is that dude in the video?!?!? That DVD looks HUGE in his hands!!

I went through an absinthe kick a few years ago when it became legal again. I bought the REAL stuff, not that Absente' crap which is just anise flavored liquor. It really did like the taste, but realized quickly that it was nothing more than a different flavor of liquor. I didn't see vapor trails in the air or Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. One day, I'll pick up another bottle for sh*ts and grins.

Back