Re-Pitch Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewhite1217

Reaction score
I have a RIS that has been bulk aging since 1/14/12. I was thinking about bottling in the next couple days. What do you guys think about carbonation? Do I need to toss some yeast in before bottling or can I just use my priming sugar and let them sit for 3 weeks?

it's probably going to take far longer than 3 weeks to condition them... no matter your method of choice. i'd tripple that time before I popped even the first one.

How long do you think it would take them to carb? What is your logic on waiting 9 weeks in the bottle? Just wondering as it tasted pretty darn good when I gave it a little taste the other day.

big beers take a long time to bottle carb. I've had RIS's that have taken 5 months. The higher the ABV the longer it usually takes. and Big dark beers take forever it seems. It's nothing to do about taste. it's actually getting them to be carbed takes a while.

I recently did my biggest beer ever - it ended up being a 9.8% Rye Saison :mug:

But anyhooze - it was carbed up very nice after 2 weeks...and this was after almost 2 months of fermentation time...so not sure why people think big beers take longer to carbonate. There's many factors besides ABV to consider.

I recently made a 10% Belgian Trappist that only took 3 weeks to carb. But I re-pitched a couple days prior to bottling.

Back