Airtight Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Tex

Reaction score
I just noticed that the lid for my primary fermenter doesn't lock into place or screw on or anything. It just sits there, is that a problem? I'm putting a three-piece airlock into the lid for what it's worth. Should I just put a heavy object onto the lid to make sure the pressure doesn't open it?

Thanks!
CT

Captain Tex said:
I just noticed that the lid for my primary fermenter doesn't lock into place or screw on or anything. It just sits there, is that a problem? I'm putting a three-piece airlock into the lid for what it's worth. Should I just put a heavy object onto the lid to make sure the pressure doesn't open it?

Thanks!
CT

It doesn't snap on at all or anything? Where did you get your bucket? Mine have such a tight seal that I could see someone thinking they don't fit on at all. But if yours really don't fit at all, I'd definitely put something really heavy on top. Also, you might want to look into getting a nicer bucket. :D

Whelk said:
Where did you get your bucket? Mine have such a tight seal that I could see someone thinking they don't fit on at all.

Hmmm, I think you're on to something. Upon closer inspection, it seems like the lip on the bucket is just a little too big to fit into the groove in the lid with the rubber seal. All the pushing in the world won't even get it to fit just a little. For what it's worth, the lid has a tab that says, "remove to open," but I'm not sure that's applicable here.

I bought the lid and bucket from Austin Homebrew Supply, so they should work fine (the brand of the bucket and lid itself is Letica). I feel dumb, like I'm missing something super obvious...:confused:

Thanks!
CT

Remove that tab, and the strip that comes with it. You will have to remove it anyways when you want to get the beer out. The lid will snap on, you just have to coerce it a bit.

- magno

magno said:
Remove that tab, and the strip that comes with it. You will have to remove it anyways when you want to get the beer out. The lid will snap on, you just have to coerce it a bit.

- magno

Sweet, that was it! Although, I do feel somewhat dumb now. :D

Back